IV Practice

echo-000

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IV'S yes we did practice in class on each other.

SQ and IM injections we had a dummy to do them on

Nope, I'm an American. My buddy goes to medic school up north and couldn't believe how much we do on each other in class. Apparently, they're all about the dummies. I tried to tell him that we're gonna learn to intubate on each other. Hahaha nothing gets past this guy! :roll:

We practised each skill (IV, IM, SC) one time on a partner in class. The rest was all in clinical rotations. Our first clinical rotation in paramedic school was at the outpatient lab in the county hospital. After one day, you very definitely had a good grasp on the skill of venipuncture.

There is at least one school around here that has the students sink NGs on each other. Glad I didn't go there! :shock:

We practiced IV's on each other in class.......I wore long sleeves for two weeks afterwards until all the bruises healed.....

In order to get approval from our medical director, we also had to spend a day in day surgery, starting IV's on all the patients. After a full day in there, you get very comfortable starting IV's.

I found that starting IV's on the fake arm wasn't at all like starting lines on real people, so the practicing on other students really was useful....