EZ-IO Drill

spgmedic

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have to use one of these and the patient is still conscious, for the love of God, *PLEASE* flush it with lidocaine first.

Placing the thing isn't the painful part. It's the flush into the IO space that's painful. I know of two instances where lido was not included in the initial flush. The first one I heard about when the supervisor brought it up at a QA/QI meeting after one of our medics flushed without it. The second was done by my partner who stopped after A) I smacked her over the head with the lido saying "Use this NOW" and B) the patient screamed bloody murder. (Yeah, my partner and I had a nice talk over this one after the fact.)

If they're unconscious it doesn't matter that much (but I'd do it anyway since you aren't sure how "unconscious" they really are). But if they're awake, make sure you flush with lidocaine.

They're great tools to have. In one particular case, bilateral IOs were the only thing that helped us keep the patient alive as that was the only access we could get.

-be safe.

I use them at one of the services I work for and we're working on getting them at the other one. I have used it with success and feel that it's a great tool to have prehospitally. Like any other intervention, we have to become educated on not just when to do something, but when not to do it as well. Not every patient that you can't obtain IV access on requires an IO. Once you get people to understand that and be aware of it in their decision making, the tool should be on the trucks.

Shane

NREMT-P

If you have to use one of these and the patient is still conscious, for the love of God, *PLEASE* flush it with lidocaine first.

Mike, I'm glad you brought that up, we have been using them for about a year now at one of the services I work at, and that was probably the most paramount thing we told our medics. Well, that and the fact that the needles are around 100.00....

To the original poster, the EZ IO is a very beneficial tool and it's even fireman proof. We love it down here.

I used the sternal F.A.S.T. for several years. It was an okay device, but I prefer the EZ I/O .. Actually, there is only one needle that is displaced, but a "bed of nails" 16 that encircles initially for delivery of needle. As well a mini tool is required to remove the needle from the sternum...

R/r 911

My department uses the F A S T One and has had a good bit of success. Of course, there are the occasional situation where failure was imminent using this device. Such was the case of an elderly lady with severe osteoporosis. It shattered her manubrium. However, she was a med-code and due to a vast PMHx had practically a nonexistent vascular system. Was worth a try. It does look rather midevil but isn't really as bad as it looks. In fact the training video that comes with it shows the doctor that helped to invent it having it used oh him while he is conscious. There are a series of large needles in a circular pattern surrounding a 16 gauge needle. The surrounding needles do not enter the body but are there to measure the depth so that the device can correctly place the single 16 gauge that does enter the manubrium. It is not a gun. rather it is placed by the arm strength of the provider alone. There are no spring action or mechanical parts. Our protocols have implemented them by first attempting IV access either 2 attempts or 90 seconds. At first the ERs in our area looked at us kinda funny when we would bring a pt in with this in place but latter they became quit fond of it in the absence of IV access. When we do use one we tape the tool for removal to the IV bag so the ER can remove the device if needed. We do continue to attempt IV access at convenience throughout the rest of the call. But the F A S T One is exactly what it says. FAST and very easy to place. But I must admit if given the choice between the F A S T One and the Easy IO I believe I would opt for the latter.

I was at a system which was a trial site for the FAST 1, I've used it and seen it used. It's a medieval torture device. Has anyone seen the video of the device being used. OUCH.

I witnessed a liter of fluid dumped in a critical patient in less than 2 minutes on this device.

Great device.

Woudl I want it used on me? HECK no

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.