EZ-IO Drill

spgmedic

My service, Secamb, in the U.k has been using them. Excellent piece of kit. But what do you guys think of this.

[url=http://www.secamb.nhs.uk/latest-news/september-2006/world-first-for-south-east-coast-ambulance-service]http://www.secamb.nhs.uk/latest-news/septe...bulance-service [url/]

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I know of a medic that had another medic use the EZ IO on him. I guess it didn't hurt that bad but they were in a world of hurt when the MPD found out. We are supposed to be getting them here pretty soon.

We do carry the Fast 1 and the BIG. I've seen the fast 1 used twice once with success. The one that didn't work, it was a code and the guy had previously had his chest opened from a CABG.

a few people mentioned that you need to flush The IO with lido when you do it on a CAO person, does anyone know the dose? I had a medic from another service the other day who has an IO drill tell me a story. she did the IO but she didn't think it was working right, because the patient was screaming when she tried to flush it.... when i asked her about the lidocaine she said she didn't know about flushing with lido... and asked me the dose... but we don't carry the IO drills so I didn't know.... can anyone enlighten me?

We use 20-30mg of Lido after establishing the IO. There are more nerve endings in the IO that causes the pain when flushing the site. The lido is supposed to help to deaden the nerve endings and make it more comfortable for the patient.

I find it kind of scary that a paramedic placed the IO and wasn't sure if it was working right because of the pain when flushing the site. Makes you wonder if she really should have been using it in the first place since she doesn't seem to know the device and it's actions all that well?

Shane

NREMT-P

Cost=utilization

You have a high cost item that is not used very often if ever and then management begins to wonder if the cost of purchasing the item was worth it just sitting on the truck. cost/utilization balance.

If you have an item that is cheaper out there but not as good, do the pencil pushers take the more expensive item off the truck and put the cheaper alternative on?

I don't have the answer to that.

• 2 weeks later...
If you have to use one of these and the patient is still conscious, for the love of God, *PLEASE* flush it with lidocaine first.

never used any of the automated devices, just the plain old fashioned IOs. Just wondering is the flush from the gun any more painful than the regular IO?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.