What is the most common call out in your area?

I used to work under a DO at a medical clinic. I had a chat with him one day about the differences between DO and MD. For clarification, an MD is a Medical Doctor, and a DO is a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine. Apparently, the education is the same, with both requiring a four year degree and medical school. However, a DO has additional education in the musculoskeletal system, and is able to perform surgeries, along with several other procedures. They understand how injuries can affect other parts of the body. A DO is not a lesser doctor, in fact, I'd consider them more of a "complete patient" physician. The DO I worked for was one of the best doctors I've ever had the privilege meeting. When I did my internship at the ER, I had both MD and DO mentors, and I feel I got more education on treating the whole patient from the DO.

No offense, but I find it hard to believe that many DO's run expensive tests without good reason. Most I've met prefer to perform physicals with their own hands, and utilize the machines fairly sparingly. Perhaps you should do a little research before you insinuate that the DO is a "lesser doctor."

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our county we have an aging population. We see a lot of elderly with SOB, Chest Pains, and those who have fallen. One of the units ends up doing a lot of transfers from the small community hospital to the hospitals in Omaha or Council Bluffs, these said same elderly they get called out for originally. They are stabilized at the community hospital and prepped for transfer.

Sometimes seems our second most calls are those darn "I've fallen and can't get up buttons" that have been triggered by the cat, dog, kid, or unknown (maybe a ghost). What adds to the frustration is the people get them then move to a new house and don't update the company so when they call us we go wake up some other person.

Then we get our share of I stubbed my toe or I sneezed last week and couldn't sleep tonight and thought I should make sure I don't have pneumonia.

My personal favorite is the "general sickness" dispatch.

Shayne

Yup in our area persons probably going to die or already dead when we get general sickness. When we get "they're dieing hurry" usually end's up being BS ( i.e. see previous post stubbed toe ). Go figure.

Yeah, I dunno where this D.O. vs. M.D. tangent arose from. :?

Some of the best ER docs I have ever worked with were D.O.s. Best medical director I ever had was a D.O. Best dermatologist I ever met was a D.O. If it weren't for D.O.s and their commitment to primary care, there would be a lot less people delivering babies today since a great many M.D.s are bailing on OB wholesale.

And, of course, let's not forget that the man who wrote the best Paramedic textbook on the market, and who is fighting as hard as anyone to advance our profession, is a D.O.

Yeah, I dunno where this D.O. vs. M.D. tangent arose from. :?

Some of the best ER docs I have ever worked with were D.O.s. Best medical director I ever had was a D.O. Best dermatologist I ever met was a D.O. If it weren't for D.O.s and their commitment to primary care, there would be a lot less people delivering babies today since a great many M.D.s are bailing on OB wholesale.

And, of course, let's not forget that the man who wrote the best Paramedic textbook on the market, and who is fighting as hard as anyone to advance our profession, is a D.O.

Dr. Bledsoe D.O. really works hard to promote EMS.

Best Doctor I ever saw was a D.O.

As far as OB's if D.O's aren't available just have to have us medics deliver them, we already deliver a bunch in our stork mobile..

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.