Top 5 problems in EMS

In no specific order

- lack of job diversity- allow medics to be a part of recruiting, training, human resources, specialty teams (bike, CBRN, POU, TAC, Marine, CISM), coach officer, ALS, Public relations....allowing medic to be a part of the specialized training allows for ownership to begin to grow...it re charges career the batteries ....

- further to point one ...allowing some of the above will create stronger leadership, leadership that will stand up for the medics and the public that they serve...leaders and Mgt should not just be appointed they should be grown

- education training - a commitment to ongoing training, from the new hires and their coach officers to the medics who have been working develop diverse programs with medic input..

-unique identity - push back from the kiddie table, and drive for an EMS identity use what has shown to be successful...take ownerhip in your career...if you want it go and get it ....

In no specific order

- lack of job diversity- allow medics to be a part of recruiting, training, human resources, specialty teams (bike, CBRN, POU, TAC, Marine, CISM), coach officer, ALS, Public relations....allowing medic to be a part of the specialized training allows for ownership to begin to grow...it re charges the career batteries ....

Well put.

Anyone else?

Upon further reflection, I have to amend my concern about our lack of a unique identity. It's not so much the lack of a unique identity that is the problem, as it is the identities that we are currently linked with. In other words, it would not be a particularly bad thing to share an identity with the nursing or medical professions. That could work for us, given the right political relations with those groups. But being linked with the fire service and public safety is very definitely not working for us.

I agree that ideally, we would have a unique professional identity that let people know exactly who we are, what we do, and what we are worth. But so far, it isn't happening and I don't even see the slightest potential for it. Consequently, forging an alliance with an existing medical profession may be a valid option, at least for the short term.

And, of course, having a unique identity that shows people exactly who we are can be a very bad thing if, as we currently do, we suck! Therefore, again, it all comes back to education.

1. Fire Departments trying to run EMS.

2. Edjumacashun

3. Lack of a national identity.

4. Lack of a strong National Scope of Practice.

5. Internal infighting. Can't we all just get along?

6. Stupid hoopies and wackers who make us look bad with oversized lightbars and stupid EMS T-Shirts.

We all talk in here about what its going take to make EMS a true respectalble profession. And I agree with everyone. But how does this actually get done. Who is going to break down the system as a whole and restructure it. Can it be done across the board ( The United

States)? Who has to take the first step?

1. Lights ain't bright enough

2. Ambulances ain't fast enough

3. Siren's ain't loud enough

4. Too many rules

5. Not enough TRAUMA!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

That's what I'm talking about! YEAH!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.