Paramedic's tell me a what a new EMT should not do to......

This is a most excellent thread, that I am loving 100%. Being an EMT-I on the job for only 5 months, I have learned the hard

way alot of this "common sense" stuff, but this is how I really like it laid out for me....Don't hold back, I don't have thin-skin.

I have to say that in my service area and with the medics I've worked with (Paragods or not), they all respond very well to

QUESTIONS I have. They've all shared their knowledge with me, and have been happy to do so, if only I ask!

It does take a little time to get the finesse of driving, paperwork, pt care, etc. down, but I still consider the Pts the most important part of my job.

Dust, I love you.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I got a few, dont piss off the EMT or you will:

Make your own stretcher.

Clean your own mess.

Carry your own equipment.

Tell someone else your pipe dreams about your lifesaving quests.

Complain to someone else about how the Surgeon, doctor, nurse, or x-ray technician have no idea what there talking about.

You will get the scenic route to the hospital with the drunk homeless guy with the shits.

This is fun.

I got a few, dont piss off the EMT or you will:

Make your own stretcher.

Clean your own mess.

Carry your own equipment.

Tell someone else your pipe dreams about your lifesaving quests.

Complain to someone else about how the Surgeon, doctor, nurse, or x-ray technician have no idea what there talking about.

You will get the scenic route to the hospital with the drunk homeless guy with the shits.

This is fun.

Piss of the medic.. you will be replaced, remember Basics are dime a dozen... they will even volunteer for your job for free. In 2-8 weeks there is a new crop.....

Remember the medic is the one making the revenue...

R/r 911

Whit my brother...you got issues.

I dont know what kind of system or coworkers you are subjected to but I feel very sad for you.

1. I always have a bag and montior in my hand. No EMT carries the airway bag or lifepack for me as I am quite capable and those bags/equipment are not for you.

2. With the exception of an extremely critical patient, I always help make the stretcher ready WITH my partner.

3. I clean my mess as I go, the same way I cook. A lot of times you would never believe I had just ran a code or cooked dinner as both places (ambulance/kitchen) are clean when I am done.

4. I hear more "life saving" stories out of EMTs than I have ever heard out of a medic. BY the time you become a medic you are more of a realist and know most of that BS just won't fly.

5. As far as complaints about other health professionals not knowing what they are doing, that is a personal issue that you have been exposed to, but again I have heard more EMTs talk crap about medics not knowing what they were doing more than medics talking about ER staff. Again, once you have become a medic you have a greater respect and understanding of your peers knowledge and training and are more apt or inclined to learn from that instead of contemplating when you can get in the next medic program, how fast you can complete it and why won't your partner let you do ALS things in thefield, because they really are that big of a deal.

6.As far as scenic routes, that is so very childish and does it really benefit your patient...you know the person we are employed for. Does it matter if he is homeless with diarrhea? Do you routinely discriminate against your patients based on their socio economic status? By the way, this patient would have YOU riding in back anyways with me doing the driving as this situation in most cases does not warrant ALS intervention unless severe dehydration is present.

You sound as if you have a very hostile situation. I treat my partners with DIGNITY and RESPECT, always. After all, we are partners and it is a two way street.

I am so very sorry for your miserable experiences in EMS as this is and can be a very rewarding career that can produce some very close friendships with your partners.

Someone dosent have a sense of humor, funny how when the roles are reversed, I hear words like respect, and we are partners, this is a team.

I actually am pretty issue free.

I also have a great relationship with the paramedics I work with. They unlike your self realise I dont want to be them.

We dont post lists of how to get along with your paramedic partner.

If you treat me like I am your driver thats what I will act like.

If you want a helper get a monkey. Orangutangs are cool.

If you want a partner, the respect me.

If you want to treat me like and individual with with a problem solving brain like yours, and dont assume because I am an EMT I was put on this planet for the reasons stated in these posts.

I dont aspire to be a paramedic. Never have. Maybe that changes somewhere down the line.

EMS was a vehicle for me. The ride is however almost over. Soon I shall sit in a corner office making butloads of money.

Rid I might be a dime a dozen. Its actually 17.40 ah hour.

any way.

Some of the best friends I have in this world I met in EMS.

Some of the most twisted people I know are in EMS.

And the homeless guy with the shits. I dont feel comfortable with that. Its all you my man. :wave:

Thanks for reminding me why I do not, and have not for decades, work in a system that utilises basics.

The extreme disparity of education and power produces these sort of issues that you are having.

And the reason you do not post lists of ways to get along with your partner is because you lack the qualifications for anybody to ask you in the first place.

Dont assume you know my qualifications or educational background. We have had this discussion before.

I know everything I need to know about you from your own statements, including this one:

I dont aspire to be a paramedic. Never have. Maybe that changes somewhere down the line.

EMS was a vehicle for me. The ride is however almost over. Soon I shall sit in a corner office making butloads of money.

You have no respect for the profession. It is just a "vehicle" for your own personal fun and games. You cannot possibly be surprised that people judge you by statements like that.

Ohhh my good lord!!! My gosh!! Words can’t express what I’ve just read….

Pull your self together man, lord I’m having palpitations.

“dont aspire to be a paramedic. Never have. Maybe that changes somewhere down the line. EMS was a vehicle for me. The ride is however almost over. Soon I shall sit in a corner office making butloads of money.”

Comments like this; my word is my blood boiling right about now. If you don’t wish to be a paramedic then why are you in EMS?? If you don’t wish to take your education any further I petty you, but it’s your own choice. Dust, what you said is an understatement, this person has no respect for human life! If EMS is all about making the money for you then I find this to be extremely sad. You’re out there to do a job and that’s to provide the best care and compassion to the patient, not how much the pay check is at the end of the week. Good lord show some guts and determination man, if you wanted an office job then why didn’t you seek a employment as an office supply disruptor or something, good lord EMS out of all the jobs to sit behind a desk…