EMS Treating Animals

DwayneEMTP

Hey,

While putting myself through medic class I worked for a small animal clinic and also an equine (horse) hospital as a tech. Due to my experience I was placed on the equine ambulance. We were trained in how to address the needs of the horse as well as proper extrication, sedation considerations, and even the worst case scenarios, dead or animals which were not suspected to survive. I live in a very horse related area, so having accidents involving horses and riders struck by cars (yep, I've had a few of those) and several involving trailers in which the horse had to extricated. I've intubated foals (baby horses), placed ng tubes, monitored them on a vent, done CPR (speaking of which Narcan is a common med to give in equine codes, don't know exact theory behind it, but is given, which I was suprised at), started multiple lines, and controlled seizures with valium. It was a great learning experience as I got great exposure to alot of the meds we used on the truck making me more familiar with them and their actions. Really helped. I still live in the same area, and to this day, I have remained on the equine hospital's emergency team and respond to assist them in scenes frequently. We also carry a canine oxygen mask on our engine simply for reason of dogs are frequent fire victims. It helps to have the experience in these situations as frequently the people doing the extrication don't know how to approach a situation like an equine extrication. We've also pulled them out of the mud, and even done one helicopter lift with a horse out of a canyon which I assisted with. The skills have paid off great in my area, but in other areas, I'm not sure how needed they would be if there is not a large population of livestock.

When the public doesn't know what else to do, they call 911 and expect us to help. Even if it's just a referral to a vet, we can help (provided you are not overloaded with human patients - never compromise human for animal and something I remind myself of constantly at truck and trailer related accidents). Stay safe out there !

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DwayneEMTB Posted: Assessing an animal's wounds is much like assessing a human's; the communication isn't there, so those responding may need to take extra precautions. Applying a muzzle is one step they may need to use...

..."It would be the same as a human being...

you know though they should just talk to PETA and have them fund the ambulances, and just let them hve their own ambulances and their own stations and do it themselves

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.