EMS Treating Animals

DwayneEMTP

Hey dont laugh man!

I helped a vet do CPR ona horse once, while i did compressions (literally laying the knee in) his assisstant did mouth to nose and he shaved this horse with an electric shaver, pulled out the gel and shocked the crap outta it with a lifepak 10!!!!

Yes it lived...

Ahhh i defy anyone to show me "Field Surgery" like that - apparently horses, thunderstorms and fences in the dark along with arterial bleeds make horsie a vewy sick wittle pony.....................

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think EMS for animals is an ok idea if the training is there. I personally have been a Paramedic for 3 years and have several times that I have been requested to "look" at a dog or cat for a MVA patient that is going to SOR, no extreme situations though. I deal with my cats at home and my husband has done some vet work in the past. I think that might be a new option for EMS personnel to branch off into.

Expressed consent???? thats easy..........

woof woof woof woof meow arf arf woof baaaaaa grrrrrrrr = get the hell away from me you fire based emt - b with the cardiology 3 stethoscope hanging around your rear view mirror and more flashing lights on your car than a room designed to give an epileptic a siezure

A dog goes to a Western Union office and says to the clerk, "I want to send a telegram."

The clerk says, "Okay, what would you like it to say?"

The dog says, "Woof Woof Woof, Woof Woof, Woof Woof Woof Woof, Woof Woof, Woof."

The clerk says, "That's twelve words. You know, for the same price you could add three more Woofs."

The dog says, "But that would be silly!"

:P

An octopus walks into a bar and sits down and orders a drink. When it come time to pay up the octopus realises he forgot his money, so he makes a bet.

He says "I bet you a carton of beer that i can play ANY muscial unstrument that you throw my way"

The bar tender says, in his thick scottish brogue "Well laddy, thar be a piano over in them thar corner, play us a wee song"

The octopus jumps on starts playing the piano like some kind of musical genius. the bar tender think to himself holy crap! and then says;

"I say thar laddy, thar be a guitar in that thar corner, play us a wee tune"

The octopus grabs the guitar and starts cutting loose like jimmy hendrix!

The bar tender thinks for a moment, and pulls out his bag pipes, lays them on the bar. The octopus picks it up and stares at it for a while, stares even longer...................he's still staring....................

"Whatsa matter laddy? canna you play da bag-pipes?"

The ocotpus syas "Play it? Play it? If i can figure which way is up, im gonna f#%k it"

There it is - many of us do it occasionally, because we are there and are the "experts". I have worked on a dog with a broken pelvis (2 hours out into the bush), a turtle with a cracked shell (Superglued it), etc. The thing that concerns me is that it might become required, especially if we have training for it. It is NOT what I signed up for, and certainly is not the reason EMS exists in its present form. Hell - can you imagine if we told doctors or RNs that they would be responsible for both the rider AND the horse he fell off of? LOL - I would not want to be part of that discussion!

We love animals, and some of the things we know can be transferred, but we are NOT vets!

I like animals, but I don't think EMS should treating them in the field. If you were to treat a dog in the field and then respond on a call for a patient and the patient be highly allergic to dogs that could cause problems : :shock: !:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.