EMS Treating Animals

DwayneEMTP

Hey all,

I know I've seen something like this posted before, but can't find it.

It seems like I'm seeing more and more of these articles...Is anyone hearing of people calling EMS for pets yet?

Isn't it the next natural abuse of the system given all the publicity? Seems crazy to me....See below.

"They're man's best friend, but when a dog or any other animal is injure, it's hard to tell just how they'll react.

"If an animal is hurt, they're going to go into a self defense mechanism and they're going to protect themselves, so even though you're coming to help them, they don't know that," said Bob Struck, Executive Director of the Upper Peninsula EMS.

Assessing an animal's wounds is much like assessing a human's; the communication isn't there, so those responding may need to take extra precautions. Applying a muzzle is one step they may need to use. Today's medical professionals practiced this technique on stuffed animals and then worked with real dogs.

"It would be the same as a human being: check the airway, the breathing, make sure the heart is working, take care of immediate breathing," said medical professional Dan Breggs of Rapid River.

They're using the knowledge and training they already have and expanding it, so they're ready for any situation, even if it's rare.

"Anytime you can take the training that you already have and broaden out to help more, in this case animals, it is a very worthwhile thing to take in to. This is more background for EMS, so if they find themselves in a situation involving pets, they will be able to deal with it," said Dr. Larry King, a Hermansville veterinarian and EMT.

Officials say you should first call a veterinarian in an animal emergency." (bold by me)

First? Doesn't this seem to suggest EMS should be second?

I don't know....I'm curious to hear what you think....

Dwayne

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problems working an amimal... say at the scene of a house fire. This is providing there are no "human" patients.

Took K9 First Aid as part of our Cypress Creek course... I feel comfortable doing it, however not sure my department would support us if we did heroic measures on amimals (anything over 02). I'm scheduling in a few practicums at my dawgs vet and local animal hospital.

I'm hearing of more and more departments obtaining o2 delivery devices for animals...

B.

EMS professionals for people and animals? Hmmm.

It sounds like a nice, humanistic plan, but I can see potential for abuse. Once people begin to get used to the idea of an ambulance crew treating their precious Fido, chances are that they will begin calling 911 to get rapid treatment for said pet. Is it proper use of the system? Is it acceptable use of the training we have? and most importantly, is it really a priority in a system that is rife with long waiting times, arguably sagging standards, and low public esteem? What will be the response of a patient who is kept waiting for an emergency because the unit that would have been available is transporting Lassie?

Too many questions, I know.

If the market is there, someone will see the opportunity to create a VEMS, or Veterinarian Emergency Services. I quite frankly do not believe that the two are compatible, and I would not be comfortable with the dual role.

VEMS yes

ask me to go to fido's house cause he's in cardiac arrest NOPE NOPE NOPE I didn't get in this buisness to take care of Fido

I'll do it at a fire scene but good lord why do we insist on treating animals like humans(although some humans are animal clones), I know that they are man's best friend but come on. If you don't have any patients to take care of at a fire scene then sure I'll put oxygen on fido and do compressions but that's it. I'm not responding to their house.

Plus I'm not comfortable with treating animals - I don't see this as a dual role paramedicine.

:lol: lol just a question what is the correct way to perform chest compressions on a dog, and do we go by AHA guidlines.lol :D

Don't laugh. There is a pet CPR course out there. The vet I take my dog to teaches one. Although, I have yet to take it.

Ask your local vet. I'm sure s/he could help you out there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.