I am moving to the UK but..............

Hello! Im a 17year paramedic in the US (South Carolina certified)and I want to move to Scotland and work EMS there. I saw this subject and thought I'd see if any one could help me as well. I love Scotland and most other areas of the uk as well. Is it possible to gain credentials to practice in UK? Im resarching the links listed above now.

Cheers! Somedic

one ofthe main problems that US trained providers face with converting to UK qualifications are two fold

1. the requirement for the probationary year at the techncian level for the iHCD award used by NHS services

2. the closureof the 'grandfathering ' route to Paramedic registration with the Health Professionals Council which means in the near future it will be impossible to register as a Paramedic woithout a Suitable Higher Education qualification and at present the main route to registration outside higher education requires the IHCD route to be followed

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just as difficult for an english paramedic to transfer to the states - but as an ex scottich ambulance paramedic - I would strongly advise choosing a decent service (any other service in the UK)

regards Andy

or actually ensuring that providers arem ore than cook book following performing chimps?

Is the the impression you have of american paramedics?

Zippy, I am not letting that one go mate :x

Zippy's knowledge of American EMS is limited to this forum, and perhaps a couple of TV dramas.

.......................Further rant removed by original poster (anything for a quiet life :roll: )..........................

Don't believe me? Try typing the likes of "ambulance fail to meet targets", or a variation of the same, into Google and see what comes back...nothing but UK stuff.

Anyway, taking the positive from his derogatory post (thought you were above that Zip) and giving him credit where it's due...he is correct (somedic) in that your options are very limited. The grandfathering rights have now closed and I don't know if you have any other option but direct entry as an ambulance technician, which will in time be phased out for entry level. UK paramedics will very shortly only be able to practice having completed an approved uni course in the UK.

In spite of your experience, it is a different beast in the UK, similar to how nursing is, with the regulatory body, professional licensure (not certification) protected title etc.

None of this takes into account having to have a UK commercial driving license for two years, on top of the biggest problem you would face...immigration. You can't usually take a job from a UK citizen, and you would need to have a job before being permitted a work visa.

Good luck though, Scotland's a wee bit different than SC and I would suggest you fly over and scope it out if you haven't already done so.

Don't worry about Zippies, they are curious creatures you may encounter in the UK (real name comes from the Latin Gobbus Shiteus) fiercely territorial apparently... just give as good as you get :wink:

Ah Zipper: Ive actually just finished reading a cookbook! After some swinging in trees I've decided I'm going to make Bananas Foster for desert tonight in honor of you but in reality it will be to wow my latest conquest. I see in your amazing line of credentials that you are a male nurse...Too bad mate I'm straight (but still a cookbook reading chimp) Oh well I guess you still have that manly pet Smuge kitty to return home to.....

What is an ambulance attendant? Over here an "ambulance attendant" is what a Paramedic gets called unintentionally by the media.

Cheers!

needless to say your post is inaccurate and defamatory...

Though less so than referring to an entire nation of EMS providers as chimpanzees who lack any diagnostic skills etc.

You are entitled to an opinion, as am I, but your response was the most broadest of generalizations, which was only posted for provocation purposes.

Be nice man :roll:

Oye Zipper: What is an event EMS Bod? Is that like a wheel chair coach driver (geriatric transport)? Why would you need to be a male nurse to do that. I love Brit terminology and I am always entertained when in the UK.

Cheers!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.