I am moving to the UK but..............

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there ambulance princess. how r u?

First of all, where abouts in the uk are you moving to?

I operate a training agency called Emergency Medical Care Training Services www.emcts.co.uk

I teach the USDOT-NHTSA EMT training here in the UK.

I currently teach First responder, EMT-Basic, and EMT-Intermediate training along with other ems training courses.

EMCTS is An Approved ECSI Educational Centre in the uk

you can email me at medickevin@btinternet.com or emcts@btinternet.com

Hi there ambulance princess. how r u?

First of all, where abouts in the uk are you moving to?

I operate a training agency called Emergency Medical Care Training Services www.emcts.co.uk

I teach the USDOT-NHTSA EMT training here in the UK.

I currently teach First responder, EMT-Basic, and EMT-Intermediate training along with other ems training courses.

EMCTS is An Approved ECSI Educational Centre in the uk

you can email me at medickevin@btinternet.com or emcts@btinternet.com

sadly you will find that the n either the NHS or the VAS accept US american qualifications

EMT_B in terms of contact hours is less than many UK event first aiders / first responders have and the ambulance qualfications run by the VASes have far more contact hours in the training and the standards expected are pretty high

US trained paramedics will struggle to get reciprocity , especially now the grandfathering route is closed and the current moveds are for new entrants to be Foundation degree / dipHE prepared ( 2/3rds of a honours degree) - iti s also worth while noting that UK paramedics are full health professionals and work under their own licence to practice ( hence how their own legal pwoers to supply and adminster the prescription only medications contaiend i nthe statutory exemption)

Im not sure what your qualifications are equivalent to or what procedures and drugs you can administer. But your best bet is probably decide where you want to live in the U.K. and find out which Ambulance trust operates in that area try and approach them direct so you get an answer direct from them (speak to someone in there HR departmemt). What some of the people have said is right a lot of trusts are now going down the university degree route however im sure there are still some who will be taking on direct entry technicians (EMTs)also there is some private companies who now do technican courses who might be able to help convert your qualification or offer you training. good luck with it all

Hello! Im a 17year paramedic in the US (South Carolina certified)and I want to move to Scotland and work EMS there. I saw this subject and thought I'd see if any one could help me as well. I love Scotland and most other areas of the uk as well. Is it possible to gain credentials to practice in UK? Im resarching the links listed above now.

Cheers! Somedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.