To all the new members who haven't introduced themselves yet

Just Plain Ruff

I'm not exactly a newbie, witnessed by something over 5,000 postings as I post here.

I'm Richard B, the EMT. Been in the field for a short time...like...from 1973? Started at age 19 in the Peninsula Volunteer Ambulance Corps of the Rockaways (Queens County, New York City, New York, USA), rode with them from 1973 to when they went under in 1996. I held down the positions of EMT, Motor Vehicle Operator, Dispatcher, Dispatcher/Radio Training Officer, Quartermaster, Treasurer, and Chief of Operations at various times. I was awarded "Life Member" status shortly before they died from lack of the "M & Ms"...Members and Money, which most of us know, you need one to get the other.

Concurrently with that, I worked my way through 5 different private, non 9-1-1 ambulance services, what here get referred to as IFT companies, for Inter Facility Transfer.

Working municipal EMS, as a part of the 9-1-1 system of New York City, from 1985 to the "Merger" of EMS into the Fire Department of New York, abbreviated as FDNY, and pronounced as "FIDney". I'm still with them, but on limited duty due to a(nother) back injury, and am working in the FDNY Bureau of Health Services at headquarters. I miss the big picture window with a steering wheel in it.

I have been at the crashes of Eastern Airlines flight 66 (113 dead), US Air flight 1010 (1 dead), and, a half mile from my house and home, American Airlines flight 587 (260 from the aircraft and 5 on the ground dead). There was also the safe landing of a 1930s single engine plane in Atlantic Beach, Nassau County, New York, on wet sand. (The pilot ran away, as the aircraft was full of illegal "recreational pharmaceuticals", but the Nassau County Police Department's 4th Precinct found him less than 24 hours later). I also was part of the rescue of the 330 illegal Chinese immigrant wannabees at Fort Tilden (Roxbury, Queens county, New York City, New York), from the "Golden Venture" (possibly 10 dead, we never had an exact count). I also have been a part of many smaller Multiple Casualty Incidents (MCIs) over the years.

Due to my longevity in the field, my presence here is sometimes interpreted as me having some knowledge. Actually, I just know who to ask for further information on questions put to me. I answer a lot from the heart, not the textbook, but even when I quote chapter, page, and paragraph, I always remind everyone that the protocols I follow, of New York State and the FDNY EMS Command, have a major chance that they are not the protocols you are supposed to be following in your municipality, Parrish (spelling?), County, State or Provence, or Country, so I always refer you back to your higher medical authorities like the area's Department of Health (DoH).

I like puns, so sometimes I will "pun"ish you with a few. I do talk with my tongue in cheek, which is why sometimes you cannot understand me (LOL).

Also, being from Noo Yawk Ciddy, sometimes I tawk a bit differently from youse guyz. (Always fun typing in dialect!)

I also can come off a bit grumpy, but usually mean no harm in it. That is probably my age (I'm a 1954 edition), showing.

Also, like different protocols for different areas, there are no absolute universal acronyms, you know, initials that make up words? I may sometimes call youze to task for using a series of letters I don't follow you on. As example, I am used to saying ED (emergency department) or ER (emergency room), but was confused by a member's usage of DEM, which was later translated to me as "Department of Emergency Medicine". I can only suggest entering the wording in full, then going to the initials.

PLEASE DO NOT TYPE ALL CAPITOLS! Here, that is interpreted as shouting, and friends don't shout at friends, or family, unless the building is on fire!

Other than that, I welcome any and all of youse "Dudes", and "Dudettes", to the EMT City!

("Take a bow, Richard, sit down, and shut up for a while!")

I'm spenac. I'm not new.

that is so true spenac you are OLDER than I am :twisted: ........btw I talked to moses today and he wants his dollar back!

Hello from Mass

Brendan FF/Medic

24 years in EMS

Great site and contributors to.

welcome Brendan from one COWBOY fan to another............. :twisted: :twisted:

welcome Brendan from one COWBOY fan to another............. :twisted: :twisted:

Don't forget me. Can't wait for the season opener.

Oh...and welcome everyone, whether you're a Cowboys fan or not. Not everyone is perfect.

Hey there. I'm new to the city. I ask a lot of dumb questions and whine. Older might-be student, started down the EMS path years ago but got sidetracked. Every time I'm reminded of it I get a strange emotion--like sinking sadness, regret,anger, jealousy, and a face full of ice water, all combined. Weird stuff happens--whenever EMS pops into my thoughts i hear a siren or a rig goes by in front of me. For years I have read about experienced paramedics half my age, and it gives me coulda/shoulda/woulda syndrome. So now I am miles away, studying anything I can get my hands on about becoming an EMT-B in my spare time. At this crossroads I can think of few other career change pursuits which interest me, to which I'd be suited, are relatively inexpensive to enter into, and don't require a degree. I welcome PMs, but no flaming--that's for youtube forums! :):( :shock: :? :cry: :twisted: :|

Hey there. I'm new to the city. I ask a lot of dumb questions and whine. Older might-be student, started down the EMS path years ago but got sidetracked. Every time I'm reminded of it I get a strange emotion--like sinking sadness, regret,anger, jealousy, and a face full of ice water, all combined. Weird stuff happens--whenever EMS pops into my thoughts i hear a siren or a rig goes by in front of me. For years I have read about experienced paramedics half my age, and it gives me coulda/shoulda/woulda syndrome. So now I am miles away, studying anything I can get my hands on about becoming an EMT-B in my spare time. At this crossroads I can think of few other career change pursuits which interest me, to which I'd be suited, are relatively inexpensive to enter into, and don't require a degree. I welcome PMs, but no flaming--that's for youtube forums! :):( :shock: :? :cry: :twisted: :|

It's never too late to start, or to re-start. Have fun. :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.