To all the new members who haven't introduced themselves yet

Just Plain Ruff

...Brent. My advise to you would be to not rush into your medic without real street experience first to back you up. No amount of clinical time in the world will prepare you for what youre going to see in the street, and unlike you EMT classes, doing what the book tells you to in any given situation may not be the right thing to do.

...Brent. My advise to you would be to not rush into your medic without real street experience first to back you up. No amount of clinical time in the world will prepare you for what youre going to see in the street, and unlike you EMT classes, doing what the book tells you to in any given situation may not be the right thing to do.

Brent ignore emt019. That is bad advice. Why not get your experience when you have some education to use with it. Stick with your plan. Focus on getting your paramedic. As a person that spent many years as an EMT-B before going for Paramedic trust me when I benefitted none from all the experience. Get your education first so you will actually be able to do good for your patients.

hey everyone...I'm emily and I'm 21 years old, living in Northern California. I am still in the process of becoming an EMT-B. So I'm very very new to this all. I am going to be done with my class by the end of this month... so if you have any advice for me i would love to hear it! I also have to do an assignment for the class by interviewing an experienced EMT... If anyone is willing to help that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

hey everyone...I'm emily and I'm 21 years old, living in Northern California. I am still in the process of becoming an EMT-B. So I'm very very new to this all. I am going to be done with my class by the end of this month... so if you have any advice for me i would love to hear it! I also have to do an assignment for the class by interviewing an experienced EMT... If anyone is willing to help that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the city Emily. If no one else vollys send me a PM with the questions and I'll see if I can help.

Brent ignore emt019. That is bad advice. Why not get your experience when you have some education to use with it. Stick with your plan. Focus on getting your paramedic. As a person that spent many years as an EMT-B before going for Paramedic trust me when I benefitted none from all the experience. Get your education first so you will actually be able to do good for your patients.

Brent, first off you need to make you're own choices, but I reccomend getting a couple of years of experience as an EMT-B first. You CAN benefit from experience as an EMT, and in my time in EMS, 17 1/2 years, the best medics are the ones who have prior experience as an EMT before going to medic school. emt019 said it right. No amount of "book learning" will prepare you for what you'll see in the streets. I have seen medics who jumped straight from EMT to medic school and they have NO BLS skills what-so-ever. One thing I have heard more times than I can count is BLS before ALS. Get your EMT skills honed first!!

Brent, first off you need to make you're own choices, but I reccomend getting a couple of years of experience as an EMT-B first. You CAN benefit from experience as an EMT, and in my time in EMS, 17 1/2 years, the best medics are the ones who have prior experience as an EMT before going to medic school. emt019 said it right. No amount of "book learning" will prepare you for what you'll see in the streets. I have seen medics who jumped straight from EMT to medic school and they have NO BLS skills what-so-ever. One thing I have heard more times than I can count is BLS before ALS. Get your EMT skills honed first!!

Well theres a load of crap. Paramedic school takes your basic education and builds on it. When you leave a good Paramedic program you will better be able to handle patient care. In EMS there really should be no BLS just patient care. The practice I got in my many years as a basic served no purpose. I have been reeducated on basic skills and now understand the why for doing things. As a basic you are left unable to do anything for a real patient. In most services, not mine basics only drive, so if you have a drivers license you already do what you will do on your basic job. Now if you want to work as a basic part time while in school you might benefit by seeing paramedics do what you will be learning.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.