AK goes to Afghanistan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

September 10??? :shock:

Dude, you're going to be there processing at the very same time as "medic3" from the chatroom! She's flying out of Toronto on the 10th. She'll be in northern Iraq. Y'all need to meet up for some pics!

Advice: Pack damn light! Anything more than a carry-on backpack and one big rolling suitcase is overkill and a major pain in the arse to drag through four airports. I can't vouch for your destination, but anywhere in Iraq, you can get most anything in the PX. And package delivery from walmart.com is usually a week, so don't bring anything you won't immediately need. Also, make sure you bring a sweatshirt or jacket to wear in Houston. Yes, it's hotter than fark in Houston, but they keep it colder than fark in the processing centre to keep you awake, haha. Oh, and quit smoking all that crack after today. It takes a good three days at the very least to get it out of your system. :lol:

I wish you were coming over here, man. The FD on this base needs some serious help! :lol:

Take care, and hit me with a PM with your base location and e-mail and DSN number if you get one.

Haha, well I brought a backpack, a duffel bag, and my B3 flight bag (which is the Air Force's fancy name for a big green "US Government Property" suitcase). Before I had even arrived in country, I was wishing I had brought nothing but the B3. I brought way too much crap. Yes, you may end up wanting and needing all that crap, but you are much better off having it mailed to you or just order it from walmart.com.

Pack light on the clothes since your destination will issue you site specific shirts. Bring just a week's worth of BDU pants since they are easily ordered. Wear them everyday in Houston so you don't end up with a bunch of civvy clothes over here taking up space. One pair of boots. Order the second online. And by the way if you (or anybody else) wants the Converse desert boots (which are FANTASTIC and I highly recommed them, let me know and I'll give you a code to order them online for less than $80 bucks. The same place has BDUs and other stuff at excellent prices, plus the discount.

Radio over her sucks arse! Two stations in Western Iraq. One is Z-Rock, which gets real old real fast. The other is a schizophreniz mix of crap that changes every two hours. Country in the morning. 80's pop for lunch. Hard alt rock for dinner. And cRAP all night long. Definitely burn all your favourite CD's to iPod before you leave. If you don't have a bunch of CD's, then wait til you get here to get an iPod (available in every PX), then dowload all your music. Bottom line is, if you need music to live, do NOT count on Armed Forces Network to suit your tastes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.