Writer doing research

westwood1138

Hi there:

Sorry to trouble you if this isn't the appropriate forum for this. Feel free to give me the boot if I'm intruding. :D

I'm a writer working on a scene that involves a car accident and I'd like get some free educated advice. :wink:

The scene involves an SUV that has rolled backwards down a hill and into a streetlight with a 5-year-old in a car seat in back. It's not a huge crash, the kid's fine, she walks away with no injuries, but it's pretty scary and she's shook up pretty good, probably with some back and/or neck pain.

What should be done in this situation? What would be the procedure for determining that the child is okay?

Thanks in advance for any assistance! :)

You're not, by chance, writing for that *insert derogatory adjective here* show "Saved", are you?

Just a few curiosity questions...

For what/whom are you writing?

Without spoiling the story...what's the story?

What type of writer are you? Screen plays? Television? Movies? Short stories? Novels? Newspapers? Magazines? Subpoenas?

You're welcome to ask anything you want. If nothing else, please browse and enjoy the forums. Contribute if you like, even! The more the merrier! :) Perhaps, though your readings and subsequent writings you can help positively influence the public perception of EMS-ers out there in the world.

I think, however, sharing a little info about you/your project(s) would help us better understand your motivations. For all we know you could be a lawyer or reporter trying to jam up one of our fellow providers by masquerading as an innocent "writer". And yes, you could call us suspicious. Some of us you could even call paranoid! :D

-be safe.

Hello, Mike -- thanks for taking the time to reply.

No, I'm not writing for "Saved" -- I haven't seen it, actually. I take it that you're not a fan? :wink:

I'm writing a feature screenplay, it's a mystery/thriller, nothing major and I'm not anybody that's written anything that's been seen (or made for that matter). The accident turns out to not be so "accidental" and the EMT aspect of it is actually extremely tangential. Somebody at the crash scene just needs to tell the main character that the girl's okay and I was curious how that would be determined. Probably just one line of dialogue, unless SOP would be to take the girl to the hospital or something. I had originally not even had EMTs in the scene, but figured the girl would probably have some kind of back/neck pain and that a responsible parent would probably have called professionals, even if the girl appears to be fine.

But if it's awkward for you guys to talk about, I can just wing it. Thanks again for getting back to me.

You should or I should say that no EMT should say "you be all right" in a medical term as there is really noting wrong with you... although rather it might be speaking in a comforting way.

The child will be evaluated and assessed, as well the mother is responsible for the child and has to make the determination if the child and her self will be treated after the victim is informed of risks, and potential injuries, and refusal form usually witnessed by the law enforcement officer. Yes, law enforcement officers, will be at the scene 99.99% of the time...

Good luck, in your research.....

You should or I should say that no EMT should say "you be all right" in a medical term as there is really noting wrong with you... although rather it might be speaking in a comforting way.

Hmm... actually, that's a good point. I hadn't thought of that.

I might be better off just saying that the kid wasn't hurt, no back/neck pain, and not having the EMTs called at all. Probably saves me some grief anyway. I can tone down the accident to make it believable that she's unhurt and just not have to worry about it at all.

Thanks for your reply! :)

On the other hand, if you were to base the story in a busy urban EMS setting you could portray the child calm and unharmed/uninjured while the mother is panicking and freaking out and generally getting in the way of any assessment the paramedics attempt to make. Then you could have one of the "EMTs" or whatever, administer a therapeutic slap to the mother and have her sign off for her child AMA. Jeesh.....this is gold. why am i not writing a movie? BTW, I expect full credit and royalties for any and all of my ideas. :)

Actually, the whole premise of the scene is not really believable. Probably the great majority of kids that age who say that they are having back or neck pain are simply going along with the suggestion of the questioning. Kids are made of rubber. Damn rare for them to get muscle soreness like that. That's why they can wreck their mountain bike or skateboard all day, keep going back for more, then sleep like a baby and wake up limber the next morning without any problems. The concept of whiplash is foreign to five year olds and is frankly unbelievable for you to even use.

If you are going to have somebody who should know better tell the kid and/or mom that they will be just fine, be sure to make it a fireman doing so. Fire medics -- especially in the big cities -- are notorious for saying or doing anything in order to get out of patient care and paperwork. A responsible, professional Paramedic would never do so.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.