basic questions about qualifications

rush99

Hi guys, looks like this is a great forum, i just have a few basic questions for you guys. I have tried searching for all this but i just havent found great results, so here i go. I know there are a whole bunch of different ranks and what not, but to pretty much just drive an ambulance and do the basic help for calls how much schooling is required? Can you get it done in a few months or does it take a couple years? Also do you think it is possible to do that while going to college for something else, or is that just really pushing it? thanks for your help.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, looks like this is a great forum, i just have a few basic questions for you guys. I have tried searching for all this but i just havent found great results, so here i go. I know there are a whole bunch of different ranks and what not, but to pretty much just drive an ambulance and do the basic help for calls how much schooling is required? Can you get it done in a few months or does it take a couple years? Also do you think it is possible to do that while going to college for something else, or is that just really pushing it? thanks for your help.

God you are an awesome individual.

:shock:

Sorry if i sounded like a just wanted to drive the ambulance and not do much, but since i was just looking at it for part time, i did not think that going through all the courses to become a full paramedic would be the best idea. It seems that just more of a first responder can get trained quicker and still help, i was kind of assuming that everyone works with partners, one the lesser trained emt, so they drive, while the more trained one is in the back, but i guess i could be totally wrong there, sorry. I know i do not know a whole lot about the ocupation, but i am just starting to look into it as an option so i was just looking for some guidance.

Well i assume that it would be a better idea to get the position with the least training to get a feel for the job and see how i can actually do in those situations, and then if i decide it is what i really want to do i can always get more training and move up, but if i discover it is not for me, i have not wasted years and money training to get the top job. I am planning to major in finance, and it is what i have always wanted to do, but i have always had a nagging feeling to do something that actually helps people. I dont want to retire at 60 and look back saying i was a workaholic in my office and never did anything that made a real difference in anyone elses life. I thought about joining the Army before moving onto my career, but it doesnt look like that is going to work out.

You can probably check with a local ems training facility and see if they offer first responder training.

I done my FR training that way, only took 6 weeks (2 days a week 4 hours at night) 50.00 for class, 5.00 CPR card, 45.00 for state exam= 100.00 total.

Also we had to do a 12 hour ride along. Then once you pass this go to a driver license testing center and test for a F-endorsement (for hire).

If you know of any private ambulance services that mainly do transport to and from hospitals,nursing homes,dialysis see if you can get with them 1 or 2 days a week to get your feet wet by transporting patients. FYI local colleges might offer this course but they charge way to much and it takes over 3 months to complete.

Rathbone

First responder is a great way to get your feet wet. Dont listen to all the old curmudgeons around here that say you shouldnt bother.

Uhhh... get his feet wet doing what? It appears you misread his original post. All he wants to do is drive the ambulance. He's not going to get a job doing that with an FR card.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.