basic questions about qualifications

rush99

90% of the people who take our classes go on to paramedics. 5% like working BLS and 5% burn out. (rough estimates from numbers the last few years)

Just wondering, are you considering everyone who stops working EMS for what ever reason a burn out?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering, are you considering everyone who stops working EMS for what ever reason a burn out?

You want to see a scary statistic? Check out the percentage of those are burned out that do NOT stop working in EMS! :shock:

Okay, so I guess you are so much tougher and wiser than all those unfortunate weaklings who let some stranger on the Internet chase them away from the field they supposedly think is their life's calling.

Come on, man. Do you really believe that you're the only man strong enough to withstand my criticism without quitting the field? I think you need to give others a little more credit. Those who are meant to be in EMS will be here regardless of anybody on the Internet telling them they have mistaken notions about the profession. Those who run away from a stupid message board, crying with their tails between their legs, simply weren't meant to be in EMS. It's that simple. And I think you are grossly underestimating all the other newbies here by assuming they are that pathetically fragile. In fact, I believe they should take your comment as a personal insult. :wink:

Hrm....well in response to that all I have to say is =D>. You are right I do underestimate the people that come in here to post. Although sometimes you are an ass ;)

People who burn out, quit, get fired, etc. I should also say my class size has been 3 times a year 30 people in 25ish out average for the past few years. They check up on everyone later on and of course we come back for CE's.

You know, for the record, while Dustdevil can be a bit of a schmuck from time to time, compared to my instructors in paramedic class he's still Mary Poppins. Think being razzed about being an EMT Basic is traumatizing? Try having your unit quiz ripped up and marked as a zero because you forgot to put your name, or having your way cool volunteer EMT badge thrown in the garbage because when they said badges weren't allowed in class, they meant it (neither of these things happened to me, just things I witnessed) Trust me when I say Dustdevil is cranky, at worst.

Another shining example of how little the general public knows about the field of EMS.

Props to the guy for atleast asking about training.

It could be looked at as him trying to do his homework on a possible career field.

Some of us could have been a little easier when answering him tho. A couple of the posts seamed to come down kind of hard. But oh well.

Well, if you google "EMT," the first web page you come up with is the Bureau of Labor Statistics page on EMTs and Paramedics. http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos101.htm. The second website is the NREMT website.

I'll admit that I came down hard, for multiple reasons. First off, with a little bit of research, he could have easily found out what those "whole bunch of different ranks and what not" are by doing a simple search (google, wikipedia, etc). I don't have time for people who want to be spoon fed basic information, EMS or otherwise.

Second, he's excuse for 'just wanting to drive' is because he is a college student. I'm sorry, your schedule is between you and your company. If you have no backbone then your screwed. I would never, let me repeat that, never work on a school night. Once you're on the unit, you're screwed. You can't turn down a call because you have a test an hour after you are scheduled to get off from work. The simple solution would be to make it real clear during your interviews at companies that (assuming a Monday through Friday schedule) you are unable to work overnight or a 24 on Sundays and not during the week. If your company wants you to work, then make a decision to either take the risk of missing class or offer to resign. I've almost had to do that once (didn't go that far, but came to the line), but you have to make sure that you know your priorities and that you have informed your company of your schedule limitations and then you must hold them to it.

Third, being in college is not an excuse to do the minimum. Out of everyone, the EMTs in college should be at the top of the EMT-B ladder. We should be the ones that are applying our education (especially if it is a bio education) to our patient care and educating our fellow basics in what we have learned.

Now, I will grant that Rush is trying to be nobel and help people out, but you can help people out with an education in finance. I'm sure that there are plenty of non-profits that would love the expert advice and assistance that a person working in finance would be able to provide.

JP, while I fully agree that an educated EMT is a good EMT, I do also have to add my own personal experience in that there is nothing more dangerous or irritating than an EMT-B who has two semesters of General Chemisty and Biology under his or her belt. We are talking Battle of Stalingrad like death rates if these people if they were to be released onto the general public.

JP, while I fully agree that an educated EMT is a good EMT, I do also have to add my own personal experience in that there is nothing more dangerous or irritating than an EMT-B who has two semesters of General Chemisty and Biology under his or her belt. We are talking Battle of Stalingrad like death rates if these people if they were to be released onto the general public.

Asys, Dust, All other senior EMS providers- 1St- Asys, I hope I never have to work with anyone who puts together the 3 words "way cool badge"!! 2nd- Some of the best things I've learned so far have come from people who p*ss*ed me off by reaming me out! So I look forward to being beat up by you guys!! 3rd- To everyone who takes offense to straightforward criticism- lighten up yourselves!!! As long as you know its not your emergency, you can learn from everything!!!.......

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.