EMS and Tolerance

thbarnes

Where do you think EMS personnel stand in general and in relation to other professions on the issue of tolerance towards peers (not patients) of other ethnicities, faiths, sexual orientations, etc?  

23 members have voted

1. 1.

• Above and beyond other professions, it comes with the job
    • Relatively the same, slightly more tolerant
    • Relatively the same, maybe a little less tolerant, but we're getting there
    • Less tolerant and something should be done about it, such as [insert what]
    • Less tolerant and it's really going to stay that way due to [insert reason]

EMS is one of few professions whose diversity most closely mirrors the diversity of the communities it serves. However, where do you think EMS personnel stand in general and in relation to other professions on the issue of tolerance towards working peers (not patients) of other ethnicities, faiths, sexual orientations, etc?

Oh I am definitely intolerant, it has nothing to do with race, gender, sexual orientation, etc, though. I hate stupid people! White, black, purple, orange, gay, straight I don't care, but stupidity gets no love from me. If you call 911 and I have to respond because you think the orgasm you just had is going to cause a miscarriage you are a moron. Real call by the way.

As far as anything else I do not see any of that stuff, I see a patient who needs to be treated for whatever malady they have. I see Chest Pain, GSW, or a seizure nothing else.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

I don't really hang out with to many people in this industry outside of work. A few of my close friends are in fire departments and other EMS services; but for the most part I think that most of the people in this industry need to grow up. If I'm not your friend, then I really don't care who you date, who you took home from the bar, or that you can't make your light bill payment because you spent all of your money at Walmart on useless sh*t. If you think that George Bush sucks, then good for you...I didn't go to work to listen to you try to get me to see your ways.

I can tolerate other races, beliefs, and sexual preferences. However, if one of those things causes an issue with my patient care, response times, or the way we act at the station, then I have a problem with you. I will not let you sit there and talk politics when it is clear that a problem is going to arise. I will not let you read the Holy Bible aloud if someone in the station does not believe that and is offended.

Yes I know that we have our rights, but when your at work you need to realize that your sharing a work space with others. If they are willing to meet you half way, then why shouldn't you? I don't ask that any of my crews accept things, I just ask them to be kind and respectful of how that person feels.

Nate, great post of course.

Yes, as long as you don't impinge on my rights or try to get me to change my beliefs then I don't have an issue with you.

I once rode with a emt that was a staunch liberal republican(is there such a thing) and he was also a bible thumping freak with a minister license or whatever.

He spent most of his time trying to either convert me to his political view, his religious view or criticising my patient care as being too this or that.

We had a come to Jesus meeting and in the end he was fired for a hostile workplace - yes virginia you can have a hostile workplace and it not be any way related to sex.

So as long as you don't try to turn me away from my religious beliefs, my sexual orientation or my political stance then we're all right. Otherwise, if you do I'll tell you to go away.

I just think that we are to "fake" in this industry. There are to many people (on here too) that get all wound up over nothing. They are ready to lead a mob to hang the person who they believe has done wrong....even if they are not directly related. This ignorance is what bothers me, it makes me wonder if they apply this same ignorance to other things in their life. God forbid you go against popular belief in EMS...they just might burn you at the stake. Salem EMT Trials...

I believe we have to much liberal thinking, and not scientific or even qualitative based on why we perform or believe in anything. The same is true, on wanting to do new things as well. Without, reviewing previous experiences, research to justify such changes or would change effect be really beneficial?.. So many people believe and perform without any knowledge of why they feel, perform and think the way they do.

We have become so thin skinned in society? Part of the problem, no one knows how to debate anymore... and without such we have a vanilla society. So many are followers... with the only justification being of edited sound bites, movie or rock star promoting such.. ( and we know how educated they are). When even attempting, to discuss anything more than the weather, so many feel threatened when any discussion is made.. I feel because they truly do not know why or be able to defend their action(s). I get tickled, when asking any political discussion on what their party affiliation main agenda, goals, and even their main PAC's are.. most look at you with deer in head light look...

I encourage all to become involved.. but know why and what you beliefs are.. and not just because it is a trend .. being medicine, lifestyle, politics, etc...

You are very right, Rid.

Example is my 15 year old son. He is a very hard right conservative Republican. I don't know why, because they did not take enough time with current events at his old school. I didn't teach him to be that way. When I ask him questions, he has a generic answer, but can't really say why he feels that way. I think it's the same with many other people I come across. Except they are usually on the other side.

I no longer have political discussions with people at work, it's not worth it. Many get too angry very rapidly, and don't have a reason, it's just because they are on the other team, and don't like my team. Although, I was very pleased to find some new YOUNG co-workers who were very conservative, and willing to talk about it. All started with a conversation about the babes of country music.

Other than politics, we all appear pretty tolerant of each other. We have a very representative diverse work force for the area we serve. Almost all of the providers play well with each other. And we have most areas covered, smokers, non-smokers, gay, straight, conservative, liberal, republican, democrat, male, female, blacks, Hispanics, Christians, and Jews.

I learned long ago in this profession that there are two things you don't discuss at work....that's politics and religion. Those 2 topics will start an argument faster than most topics, at least where I'm at anyway. However, I think as a profession we are fairly tolerable of others and their individual traits.

Todd

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.