EMS and Tolerance

thbarnes

Where do you think EMS personnel stand in general and in relation to other professions on the issue of tolerance towards peers (not patients) of other ethnicities, faiths, sexual orientations, etc?  

23 members have voted

1. 1.

• Above and beyond other professions, it comes with the job
    • Relatively the same, slightly more tolerant
    • Relatively the same, maybe a little less tolerant, but we're getting there
    • Less tolerant and something should be done about it, such as [insert what]
    • Less tolerant and it's really going to stay that way due to [insert reason]

I think another issue we have with tolerance among co-workers is the fact that we have such a vast gap at times between providers. You can take your redneck bubba and put him on the truck with a college degreed paramedic and those two are going to be so far apart in lifestyle it is bound to cause problems. I've ran into that problem a few times...sometimes I get frustrated trying to break down a concept that I feel is pretty simple as it is.

Education is going to be a problem for a very long time. You can't expect half of your personal to work one day at the 8th grade level and then the next day at a higher level. It is just going to frustrate them and will cause further problems because the educated guy will think the other guy is a dipsh*t and the dipsh*t will think that the educated guy is cocky.

By the way, this has nothing to do with provider certification level.

I learned long ago in this profession that there are two things you don't discuss at work....that's politics and religion. Those 2 topics will start an argument faster than most topics, at least where I'm at anyway. However, I think as a profession we are fairly tolerable of others and their individual traits.

Todd

That is because most people, EMS or not, takes politics too personally. They feel that if you disagree with their position, then you must hate them and that the only reason to debate is to indoctrinate. These people need to grow up or die.

I have a friend at work who says "Bush is an idiot" when I ask him to explain himself he just says "Bush is an idiot" but when I tell him that John Kerry is just as big an idiot but more boring he goes off and calls me an ignorant pig. I explain my reasons and tell him I expect the same too but he just goes back to the "Bush is an idiot" statement. He'll then get up stomp off and not talk to me for the rest of the day. I then one day asked him why he was mad at me and he said that he was mad at me due to the fact that since he's gay I hate gay people. He's so unstable.

That's why you never talk politics and sexual lifestyles with anyone at work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.