AEDs in personal vehicles?

We have three in our town: 1 in the Medic, 1 in the Rescue, and the last in the Chief's car, just in case he's out and about. The department to our north had a few in their POV's but after 2 years they were never used. They put them back into their firetrucks. I had same results carrying O2. After 5 years, I think I used it 3 times. I finally went and turned it back in.

In our case, I think the police cars should have them before us (in our POV's). They are usually in their cars and get on scene faster than we do.

Also, I would worry about someone running hot in a POV thinking they got to get there fast. Could be dangerous. :shock:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, 15 years or so in EMS and seen an AED only 1 time in use but then again, I've worked rural so we never really had any that were in use.

I see them in airports on a weekly basis cause I fly every monday and thursday and yet to see one used there either. I fly 100K miles per year and have never seen one used on a plane either. They are a useful item but many times they just become a paperweight waiting to be used.

Well, some police officer go there entire career and never fire their weapons other than traing. Should we take away their guns?

Nope, want them to be there when we need 'em. POV's no. On every piece of emergency equipment. YES!!

yes, every emergency vehicle should have one. In your personal vehicle only if you can afford it. But if you have one in your car then that's great.

There is a village in Ireland that has recently installed 10 (I think) AED units in outside locations around their village. Approximatly 45 people trained in their use. There are also a couple of schemes in Ireland where the Garda Siochana (Police) have them in their squad cars. I have one in my car at present as we have bought it for a vehicle that's not in service yet, but as soon as that's operational it will be coming out!

I run most of my calls from home in my car because I live in a township farthest from our base. I carry a first in bag which has basic equipment plus a full intubation kit and my own pulse oximeter. I don't carry an AED because all of our police cars have them and I have rarely beaten the cops to a scene. I don't carry oxygen because I was also concerned about the potential for catastrophic tank failure if I was involved in a crash from behind. I have seen the AED work many times. Perhaps that is because the police are so quickly on scene and they really want to help the patient.

Anybody have any thoughts on how I could safely carry an oxygen tank in my trunk? It would be helpful on all of the dozen or so calls I run each month as a first responder.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

Spock....that's very intriguing. I too live about the farthest from our nearest station as possible. I have a BLS kit that was purchased by my agency for me last Christmas. I'm contemplating asking them for either an intubation kit or a combo intubation IV kit to at least start locks for med admin if necessary. Have you had much use for the ALS equipment in the first responder scenario? As far as the O[sub:855d46052c]2[/sub:855d46052c] goes, I don't know what to tell you. I'd be terrified it would become a missile in the instance of a rear end collision.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.