What time is shift change for you?

Nate

What time is your shift change?  

51 members have voted

1. 1.

This question is for 24 hour crews only. What time do you have shift change, and how early can you usually expect your relief to be there?

Your choices are:

Thanks,

Nate

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, maybe when I was a rookie I was with a bunch of old school guys. We were expected to be there 30 minutes before the shift, and if we weren't...you'd better have a good reason. Even though they didn't take over until 0700, it was given that it would take 30 minutes to exchange a full report of the truck, station, and crews that work the day trucks. I guess management knew that stories would be thrown in the mix and that coffee would be needed, so they figured 30 minutes was better then 10. You didn't get paid until 0700, but you were expected to be there.

We tried that here, but management says we can't force someone to be here unless we pay them. So why pay someone to be early when we can just move the off time to that time (which wouldn't fix the problem). We are going early now because of the number of calls that seem to appear around the 0700 to 0900 hours. We have one person who doesn't want to have an 0600 due to the extra time required for this person to get up and get ready (thats understandable). So one person wants 0700, I want 0630, and the other wants 0600. I think we are going to get 0630.

I don't know, maybe when I was a rookie I was with a bunch of old school guys. We were expected to be there 30 minutes before the shift, and if we weren't...you'd better have a good reason. Even though they didn't take over until 0700, it was given that it would take 30 minutes to exchange a full report of the truck, station, and crews that work the day trucks. I guess management knew that stories would be thrown in the mix and that coffee would be needed, so they figured 30 minutes was better then 10. You didn't get paid until 0700, but you were expected to be there. .

We don't work 24's at my current job, but most of us show up 30 minutes early just to be nice :D Just something we do for each other when we can, it's not expected. It does help when that last minute call comes in and your relief is there and says "I'll get this".

And there is usually a whole lot of coffee and BSing going on too.

Our shift change is 0800. Most will show up between 0745 and 0755 but I usually get there around 0730 just in case a call comes in that would put the other crew into OT. Most of us like to go home right at change so I try and do my best.

There has been quite a few times I have gone on calls though with one person from the previous crew as my partner did not show up until like 0759.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.