EMT-Is and the death penalty...

OK, please forgive me. I had a link to aa story I wanted to share the other night but the sever was down. Now I can not find the story and it is driving me nuts.

Anyways, I can not recall which state it was, however they are proposing allowing/hiring EMT-Is to start the IVs and push the drugs on the inmate's death day. It seems they are having trouble hiring and keep anesthesiologists who have been doing it for years as required by the previous law. They will still have a doctor on hand to declare official death, but they think this will help by eliminating some of the docs ethical and moral dilemmas.

The quote was "they are trained to do IVs, so why dont we use them".

How do you feel about this...and if anyone finds the article, please post it.

Edit: I found the story..it was jems.com

http://www.jems.com/news/111464

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, please forgive me. I had a link to aa story I wanted to share the other night but the sever was down. Now I can not find the story and it is driving me nuts.

Anyways, I can not recall which state it was, however they are proposing allowing/hiring EMT-Is to start the IVs and push the drugs on the inmate's death day. It seems they are having trouble hiring and keep anesthesiologists who have been doing it for years as required by the previous law. They will still have a doctor on hand to declare official death, but they think this will help by eliminating some of the docs ethical and moral dilemmas.

The quote was "they are trained to do IVs, so why dont we use them".

How do you feel about this...and if anyone finds the article, please post it.

Edit: I found the story..it was jems.com

http://www.jems.com/news/111464

against it.. we are trained to save not kill. But if there are EMTs willing to do such a thing I guess let them do it.

If there is going to be a doctor present, why not just let him do it?

I think it's pretty messed up that they are looking for somebody else to come in and "do the dirty work". What's that say for us as professionals? We're trained to save lives day in and day out, but take them? It's not our place to do so and we shouldn't be involved in this type of situation. It's nothing more than another kick in the balls to the profession, and that's something that we all can do without.

If there is going to be a doctor present, why not just let him do it?

I think it's pretty messed up that they are looking for somebody else to come in and "do the dirty work". What's that say for us as professionals? We're trained to save lives day in and day out, but take them? It's not our place to do so and we shouldn't be involved in this type of situation. It's nothing more than another kick in the balls to the profession, and that's something that we all can do without.

agreed

Sign me up. If they did something to get them on death row, and all the appeals they got failed, it means they belong there. Iwould have nothing against doing that.

1. We all know that the US has never executed an innocent person :roll:

2. What gives you the right to take someone's life?

"An eye for an eye makes us all blind."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.