Inmate EMTs?

Nowhere in the document does it say convicted FELON. In an earlier post someone said rewarding criminals, no we shouldn't reward criminals but we can reward rehabilitated individuals. And yes it can happen, people do change and realize their mistakes. No one is perfect and if we were imagine how the world would be. There wouldn't be a need for us at all, perfect health means no caregivers. No need for police or fire either. No need for anything good or fun. And no need for a site like this on for people to B***H on about trivial stuff. We all know how government works, if they want it we have no choice but to accept it and move on. Why not let them care for each other in the prison system? It sounds to me like several of you have a phobia about prisons. If they are caring for each other then you wouldn't have to respond inside the big block and wire walls. If I have offended anyone I apologize up front, but this is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. bf1511

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you know what they say about a leopard they can never change their spots and once a con always one. Sorry, our patients and families should be treated by those that had a better discipline in life, and those they can trust. That is part of the consquensce of poor decision making and personal history, one cannot own a weapon, vote, etc.. part of the rights, one looses. Our patients expect it, our profession should demand it. Just like the rest of the health care professions does. .we already have a piss poor reputation on whom we allow in already, let's not make it any more of a joke.

R/r 911

Our patients expect it, our profession should demand it. Just like the rest of the health care professions does. .we already have a piss poor reputation on whom we allow in already, let's not make it any more of a joke.

I dunno, Rid. I figure more ex-cons have college degrees than do paramedics. They might actually help improve our reputation! :lol:

I worked as a hotshot in my earlier days besides the "con crews" from the prisons. Hard working guys....treated very bad by the guards.

I had a lot of respect for those crews...but would not let them in my house, alone, with my family.

I have been in trouble...been in jail...but when you screw up enough to go to PRISON (a distinction some seem to have trouble making) you certainly relinquish your rights to have access to people who are unable to care for themselves, their possessions and their medications.

This has nothing to do with my feeling superior or perfect. It seems like pure logic to me. Are there many ex-cons that would be a credit to this profession? You bet....Are you going to test drive them on my friends and family until you know the difference? Not gonna happen.

The prison system is certainly not about rehabilitation...I wish it worked the way it could...Showing our concern for a convicts future by putting them in EMS just doesn't seem to be the answer.

And the argument that they have paid their debt to society....What is the rate of recidivism? Huge...haven't each of them (felons) been deemed safe to return to society?

Giving a felon access to vulnerable people is kind of like having Dustdevil teach your 20 yo daughter about chastity....Your intentions may be good...

Dwayne

• 4 years later...

NREMT would of said "ALL FELONY CONVICTION" in order for your statement to be true. Do you know any one with a felony on there record? Sounds like prejuce..

thbarnes,

You are right. You cannot hold any EMT licensing at all with a felony record. It asks on the application if you have been a convicted felon and also asks for explanation. In fact, A person cannot become a public servant with a felony record. Thats' why most agencies do background checks which is a good thing. I would rather lay there and die than have a felon working on me.

http://www.nremt.org/about/policy_felony.asp

I say enough said, self explained. 8)

I have a different issue. Like AK says, 2nd chances aren't necessarily a bad thing. I'm against GA creating a new "restricted" EMT provider level. Both in the states, and nationally, we need fewer levels, not more.

What if GA DOC gave them the training and let them work in the infirmary while incarcerated. If that worked out, and depending on their prior conviction, they then MAY be eligible to sit for their GA EMT cert. Jsut a thought.

some of the answers to this thread once again how bigoted 'the land of the Free' actually is, I see the usual overblown panic reaction has surfaced almost immediately ... as SSG G- man pointed out prison time does not automatically equal a 'felony' charge or conviction ( welcome to the land of pointless and arbitrary distinctions )

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.