What kind of money do EMT's make?

bub

Bub, I was making about $6.00 per hour in the late 90's as an EMT-B. (No benefits) This was just prior to selling my soul to the dark side. You can imagine how elated I was when I received my first pay check following official employment with the dark side. On a serious note, full time EMS can be pretty rough on the family life, and yes you should expect to work insane hours and strange and unusual shifts. It sounds like you have a college degree? Depending on your degree, you may want to consider nursing school. As a member of the dark side you may be able to work in an area where you can have a family friendly schedule. One of those areas is long term care. I worked in a NSG home as an LPN for about a year, and I can say that I loved my job. I worked 8 hour shifts, (could work 10's or 12's if I wanted) met some great people and family members, and learned allot about life, pain, suffering, happiness, and grief. In addition, the pay was pretty good. Not trying to start that old nurse vs medic thing, however, it is just something to consider.

Take care,

chbare.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MattMan_foshizzle.gif

2.gif

For the record... 8.gif

I guess I was wrong:

bushbill1.jpg

In all honesty, bad money aside:

Private companies around here start EMT-B's anywhere from 8.00/ 12.00 per hour. Medics start from 10.00 to 17.00 an hour. Municipal FD's start medics from 35-45k/year.

Someone mentioned McDonalds....But D'Angelo's [a sub (sandwich, grinder, hoagie, hero, for those who aren't familiar) shop chain if anyone isn't familiar :wink: :wink: ] starts off about $9.50/ hour in many places...So, it's not even that much of a stretch [of absurdness]

Besides, no frozen fish at D'Angelo's.

So not a whole lot I guess. My intentions are to take the EMT classes and then get on with the firefighters. I think they start out at 30k here, and work (3) 24 hour shifts. I make decent money now, but alot of hours. I'm looking for some additional time to spend with my wife and kids, so that's what has led me to this decision later in life. Guess I should have went a different way with my college degree...

Just askin you folks for your experienced opinions and then I'll try to come up with the "best" decision.

Thanks!!

I work in a rural area with a private company....and we are still trying to get by with volunteers. I know that has to change at some point. Because even though we pay for the classes, the volunteers get very little to work with us and it's a shame. They come into this thinking they may find a good paying career and within a month or two they are gone. Times have changed I think private companies should pay for full time help. (But that is another thread) I think it averages out to maybe $2.50 an hour to be on shift here. That sucks for our volunteers. Plus they have to put in at least 20 hours of no pay....to pay for their classes. Now who would want to stay? Only those who don't care about the money and just Volly a few hours a day...they have families and real jobs. I'm the only one who gets paid a full time salary, but I'm on shift for 96 hours. So I think that in most rural area's its a volunteer thing.

I would say if you go for a municipal company, or a private company in a big city...you would make way more money and your shifts are a lot less hours.

As far as spending more time with your family...you may be able to with 24 hour or 72 hour shifts. I don't really know I've never had only that many hours. But make sure your family is prepared for the type of stress that you may have after awhile and being gone over night...or a couple of nights. It sometimes can be hard on the spouse and kids....but if they are fully understandable and stand by you on your decision to take on EMS or Fire as your career choice...then that is an awesome thing :lol:

I wish you luck on whatever you decide to do

Well, what do you want to do? Do you want to work in EMS? Or do you want to be a firefighter?

If you want to be a firefighter, then go do it. If the department wants you to be an EMT they'll provide the training. At the very least they'll help you get it.

If you go EMS as a foot in the door to becoming a firefighter, then you're doing yourself and any patient with whom you come into contact a disservice in that you're not really interested in what you're doing. And no patient deserves that.

I mean no disrespect with this post. But there are too many people out there who think this is nothing more than a foot in the door to becoming a FF. If you want to fight fire, go do it. If you want to work in EMS, go do that. But please, pick one or the other.

If you do a search in these forums of fire vs ems you'll find many long drawn out discussions. There are varying opinions. But in the end it'll provide you with more food for thought than you can digest in one sitting. I suggest you try that first.

Good luck to you in whichever career path you choose to follow.

-be safe.

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

Around here you have to have your EMT prior to applying to be a firefighter. Once I were to get my EMT there would be some time until a position would open up, so thats why I'm curious on the pay. Gotta support the fam somehow.

paramedic Mike wrote:

If you go EMS as a foot in the door to becoming a firefighter, then you're doing yourself and any patient with whom you come into contact a disservice in that you're not really interested in what you're doing. And no patient deserves that.

I mean no disrespect with this post. But there are too many people out there who think this is nothing more than a foot in the door to becoming a FF. If you want to fight fire, go do it. If you want to work in EMS, go do that. But please, pick one or the other.

Its not that cut and dry in some areas.

The state of Rhode Island most fire departments and EMS are one. So I believe its possible to do both if you choose.

I myself do not want anything to do with fire, the act of lighting my fireplace makes me nauseous

I work in an urban area of rural Vermont (if that makes any sense, urban being very relative here, our city, St. Albans has about 20,000 population, yet is in the top 7 or 8 largest urban areas in the state). I work for a private company, the only one in our district of seven EMS squads. Of the 6 municipal squads, only one is paid. Anyway, I make about 11$ an hour (EMT-I)and work a very odd schedule, some days I'm on 24, some days I'm on 10 or 11, and off days tend to fall in the middle of the week. We get time and a half for OT and there's always plenty available as we also cover 3 towns besides St. A. and do a fair number of transports between our small local hospital and the Level 1 Trauma Center in Burlington.

It can be frustrating to see other professions making way more money with a lot less on the line (ie. someone's LIFE!), but even though my job pays the bills for the fam (not a hobby), it is also something I absolutely love doing. I love the bit about McDonald's paying just about as well with no vomit, ain't it the truth, huh? However, I worked for McDonald's in high school (years ago!) and I never got to save someone's life. I gave a lady a shot of Epi today (she was in anaphalactic shock) and as her airway opened and her skin changed from a purple-blue to pink, I realized I had saved a life...and no amount of Big Macs can equal that feeling!

Good luck with your career whatever direction you decide to go!

Dan

The fact that EMTs are so far underpaid is beyond question. But, I just wanted to add something here to think about... If you don't like what you are doing and get paid a lot of money for it, sooner or later your discontent will take its toll on you and your family. You will grow resentful. Perhaps more important is the fact that your children will be affected by your unhappiness and frustration. On the other hand, if you WANT to be an EMT, and you really ENJOY being an EMT, then be an example to your kids by showing them that its ok to pursue a dream; that its great to be able to help someone who really needs it; and that its better to be happy in life than miserable. Good luck to you, and be safe.

EMTuKnowMe wrote:

The fact that EMTs are so far underpaid is beyond question. But, I just wanted to add something here to think about... If you don't like what you are doing and get paid a lot of money for it, sooner or later your discontent will take its toll on you and your family. You will grow resentful. Perhaps more important is the fact that your children will be affected by your unhappiness and frustration. On the other hand, if you WANT to be an EMT, and you really ENJOY being an EMT, then be an example to your kids by showing them that its ok to pursue a dream; that its great to be able to help someone who really needs it; and that its better to be happy in life than miserable. Good luck to you, and be safe.

Great post.

As far as the dream, I wanted to be a football player, but they got this stupid rule that you need to be able to catch one..... go figure.

I have seen way to many good people ruined in this field. Whatever the reason.

As far as the dream. Maybe before, however sometimes it feels like a nightmare....LOL. When the bad days start to out number the good ones. I think it might be time for a change. I have been on calls that it took me months to shake, some names I have never forgotten, and never will. That is the nature of the beast. You just have to keep it in perspective. A wise ems man once told me its alright to remember, however its healthier to forget.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.