Short Transport times

I just transferred to the city from the country. During my first few calls here, it was a big wake-up call for me! I was used to having 30+ minutes with my patient in the back of the truck before getting to the hospital, and had all the time in the world to be able to do everything.

Now, I have maybe 5 minutes to do everything. It was very difficult getting everything done before arriving @ the hospital.

It seems here in Nova Scotia, ER staff loves to have everything done for them prior to us arriving @ the ER. For example, if we were only 3 minutes away from the hospital, and I felt my patient really needed to get going, so we load and go, and I don't have time to start a line before getting to the hospital, once we arrive there, the nursing staff will bitch at me, asking "where's the IV?"

Guess they would like to see us take a few more minutes on-scene with the patient and get that IV, even though I felt my patient was going down the $hitter????

I dunno.....seems like no pleasing people sometimes.....*scratches her head in bewilderment*

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everything done in 5 minutes, I find that truly hard to believe.

Are you talking about assessments primary and secondary and then any interventions you have to do? Are you counting that in the 5 minutes?

everything done in 5 minutes, I find that truly hard to believe.

Are you talking about assessments primary and secondary and then any interventions you have to do? Are you counting that in the 5 minutes?

With 2 providers, it can be done in 5-10 minutes.

You will find a happy balance. I tend to get the pt to my bus quicker (scene safety folks, and I can kick anyone out of the box), and do the things before I go, unless I have a greater than 10 minute transport time.

of course with two providers you can get it done in 5 mins but he made it sound like the medics could do it all in 5 minutes or less. that's what I found hard to believe but he's there helping and they do have partners, I may have read it the wrong way.

If I did then apology tendered.

I work part time at a city service, our average transport time is 5-7 minutes. We generally run 2 paramedics per truck and usually will spend a few extra minutes on scene to get treatments done, when appropriate. In my opinion......we take ALS to the patient and in many instances the patient benefits more from on scene treatment than if we had rushed them to the hospital where they won't see a doctor for 30 plus minutes or recieve any other treatments.

At my full time service the providers many of times will elect to transport without getting treatments started, blaming short ETA's for not giving meds, etc. In my opinion this is just pure lazy because 90% of our patients would benefit from the additional 3-5 minutes in the feild with meds, etc. having been done. :roll: As you can imagine I tend to treat rather than run and be lazy, of course this is not always appropriate but it can be done often.

I work part time at a city service, our average transport time is 5-7 minutes. We generally run 2 paramedics per truck and usually will spend a few extra minutes on scene to get treatments done, when appropriate.

Wow! That's good to hear.

That makes a grand total of... ONE professional EMS service in the state of New York. :D

You don't call ambulances "buses" do you?

That makes a grand total of... ONE professional EMS service in the state of New York. :lol:

You don't call ambulances "buses" do you?

Thats not true .. there are many professional EMS services in New York State....Just because FDNY tried to ruin EMS doesn't mean that the EMTs and Medics are some of the best around. and yes we still call them "Buses"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.