EMT-B Questions from a Student

Hello to all. I am considering signing up for an EMT-B class in my area, but have a few questions first. I am actually studying for the ministry, and am currently a junior in a four year college. I have to complete my M.Div before I can think about ministering, and was considering taking the EMT-B class and getting a job, part-time, while I was in seminary. I have always been interested in the field of EMT and have always enjoyed helping people, whether it be physically or spiritually. I believe that 3-5 years of service in the EMS would benefit my calling of ministry, and would add another dimension to my studies. And, I may even go on while I am in the ministry part-time in EMS, who knows. Any help or suggestions from any and all would be greatly appreciated. As I hold down my current job as a inhouse hospital transport, I see EMT's everyday that I work, and I greatly respect your work and calling. Thanks to all in advance for your help! :)

First Welcome to the City!

Congratulation on your decision to follow your calling. I will not go into detail, but I know of many that too that had great intentions to enter the ministry (including myself) and after entering EMS or other health care never did. Of course, there are as many circumstances of why not, versus the number of the people.

I have found man like in my personal history was very sheltered and was not exposed to the elements of human nature, the sociology and deversements of people and the "true world". This may not be your case, but I do believe one entering the ministry this definitely would be extremely helpful and shed light on human behavior. There are so many people that are so unaware of what the true world is like, and how people live their life.

Now after saying this, I will forewarn you... many, become very jaded, and calloused. This sometimes can have a detrimental effect on some, and changes many outlook on some view of life and people in general. Just be aware of the side effects of health care...

Thoughts and prayers on whatever the decison maybe,

Good luck

R/r 911

Welcome to the city.

Like Rid I congratulate you on your calling to serve god. We worship in different ways but I like to believe we are all serving the same God.

I also agree with Rid that you can become very jaded and callous, it happened to me. I quit EMS and decided to go down a different path in life. It wasn't until the death of my father that I realized that helping people was my duty in life. I delved further into my own faith and found that it made me stronger and I regained my compassion for others, boy doesn't that sound like a cliche. Anyway I believe as long as you keep your faith you will do fine.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I understand that this line of work can make you calloused. I believe that this opportunity would asset my ministry; when I am on the pulpit, this would give me, instead of sermon notes, but "life notes". I thank you for your suggestions, and will continute to pray about my decision! :)

Another question though: Do you think that the hours would work out alright, going to class in seminary and holding down a part-time EMT job?

Another question though: Do you think that the hours would work out alright, going to class in seminary and holding down a part-time EMT job?

That shouldn't be a problem. Usually, part-time means you determine your availability so you can structure that around your class load. Good Luck & Best Wishes.

To Rid: Perhaps EMS is your ministry.....

Moretzj wonderful to have you here. I think you will contribute greatly here.

Follow your calling, I followed one of two callings - EMS and the one I did not was the ministry. I felt that I would better serve man by ems.

I now serve in a different capacity - consulting ER's on their computer systems making ER's and hospitals safer. A different calling.

I still have this intense desire to enter ministry but unfortunately it is right now out of my reach.

If you decide to pursue EMS one thing you might want to consider is a EMS/Fire service Ministry. One thing to remember is not to proselytize to yoru patients unless they ask you or you get their permission first. I worked with someone who did this without permission and it was not a good thing. Many patients welcome someone to pray for them or pray with them and you will be in a wonderful position to help them both physically and spiritually.

If you decide to enter into missionary work, then your emt or medic training will be so invaluable that you cannot believe how important it will be. Make sure to take along extra supplies though as the areas where missionaries go to most likely will not have places to get supplies from.

I admire and honor your decision and if you ever need anything please do not hesitate to ask of me.

I'd also like to hear about your experiences as a seminary student, what school you go to , costs and such. Please send me a pm and we can chat or email me at ruffems@gmail.com

AGain, take care and be safe.

Well this post was a shock to run across on this website. I am pleased, very pleased. I too have been called to the ministry. I accepted this call for about a year and was the pastor of a church I attended when I was young. God has called me to minister to people and I have found many different ways to do so. When I worked in the funeral home I was able to minister to people all the time. I also was able to minister to people when working for the local youth service agency. Since then I have not been picking up the phone when God calls and have not been ministering to the people I take care of on the ambulance unless the ask. I do however pray for them silently sometimes. I think that EMS is a great ministry. You must first get it in your head that no matter what the call there is something you can do to help that person. I see so many medics gripe and complain because someone called for an ambulance that has a sprained ankle or belly pain. SO what. They need help and that's what we are here for. To help people!! I think that you are making a good choice. I know in the last few weeks that I have had the TUG again and I have been doing alot of thinking on how to get back into the groove. Don't let the burnouts of EMS get to you and do what God has called you to do.

On another note: I think it's great that there is really some spiritual people on this site. I would like to see more of that than all the cussing and sex talk. I am guilty to but that is another thing I have been getting the TUG about. "DO I stay on this site or remove myself because of the filth" A question to ponder.

James

On another note: I think it's great that there is really some spiritual people on this site. I would like to see more of that than all the cussing and sex talk. I am guilty to but that is another thing I have been getting the TUG about. "DO I stay on this site or remove myself because of the filth" A question to ponder.

James

I'm thinking it would be good to stay and perhaps post threads that are pertinent to you, or even blog your ideas/concerns. Perhaps there are others out there who feel the way you do. So create a niche here (if it doesn't already exist). Become the person who writes the type of posts YOU want to read.

...just my 2 cents...

Pat