Here's an interesting clip of how Terrorists use Ambulances

(Acad Emerg Med Volume 13 @ Number 5 559-566,

published online before print March 21, 2006, doi: 10.1197/j.aem.2005.11.083

© 2006 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine SPECIAL CONTRIBUTION

The Behavioral Consequences of Terrorism: A Meta-Analysis

Charles DiMaggio, PhD, MPH, PA-C and Sandro Galea, MD, DrPH

From the Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University (CJD), New York, NY; and School of Public Health, University of Michigan (SG), Ann Arbor, MI.

Address for correspondence and reprints: Charles DiMaggio, PhD, MPH, PA-C, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 722 West 168 Street, Room R806, New York, NY 10032. Fax: 212-342-5163; e-mail: cjd11@columbia.edu.)

Effective postterrorism public health interventions require the recognition that behavioral consequences are, in fact, the intent of terrorists. The authors searched published and unpublished post-1980 studies that documented population-level behavioral and psychological consequences of terrorist incidents, focusing on posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Results were tabulated, and random effects models were used to calculate overall effect sizes. The analysis indicates that in the year following terrorist incidents, the prevalence of PTSD in directly affected populations varies between 12% and 16%. The review also shows that this prevalence can be expected to decline 25% over the course of that year. These prevalence estimates mask great variability, depending on who is being studied, who is conducting the study, and where the event occurred. Higher rates of disease are reported for survivors and rescue workers, and higher overall rates are also reported from studies conducted in Western Europe compared with studies conducted in North America. Prior psychiatric diagnoses are strongly associated with subsequent PTSD and may be a useful triage factor, particularly when considered together with factors such as female gender and direct exposure to events as either a survivor or rescuer. The review indicates that these associations are consistent across study types and environments and represent important variables to consider when developing triage, outreach, and treatment programs.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can debate Iraq vs. WWII all you want. Debate faulty intelligence, landing on an aircraft carrier, and declaring victory while you are at it. But in my opinion the killing of 3000+ inncocent americans deserves somebody getting their ass kicked and I am personally thankful for a president and the men and woman Serving in the armed forces willing to do just that. I would also like to add that relying on the best intelligence we have, even though it was faulty is better than listening to a president that provides FAULTY information about a white spot on a dress.

So, your theory is, 9/11 sucked, so someone needed their ass kicked, so why not iraq? Dont you think we should invade countries that were actually involved?

Asys is 100% correct. Id rather have a president who knocks a piece off from a secretary in the back room but actually acts in the interests of the country.

Impeachment and trials of treason are due...

Agree with PRPG. There is no evidence Iraq was involved in 9/11. If there was, FoxNews would still be spouting it from their highest tower with their loudest bullhorn.

There was an interesting news piece on Frontline (PBS) recently about the story behind how the US went into Iraq. I suggest, if you're interested in expanding your knowledge base to help form a more informed opinion, people take a look.

Keep in mind this has nothing to do with the soldiers/airmen/sailors/marines involved. They were given a job to do and they're doing that job.

Gripes stop with the politicians. Praise starts with the troops.

-be safe.

Germany never attacked the US in WWI or WWII. N Korea never attaked us either. So I guess we should have stayed out of Europe until Germany attacked us.

Damn, I keep telling myself I am going to stay out of the political arguements, but the fingers seem to move against my will.

georgesaysSTFU.jpeg

Nobody declared victory.

All that was declared was that the mission that aircraft carrier was sent on was accomplished.

Lie and spin if you like, but on that point, there is no debate. :roll:

Again, those who know nothing of what they speak, as well as those who intentionally misrepresent their "facts" should STFU.

Germany never attacked the US in WWI or WWII. N Korea never attaked us either. So I guess we should have stayed out of Europe until Germany attacked us.

Damn, I keep telling myself I am going to stay out of the political arguements, but the fingers seem to move against my will.

Well technically America did stay out of Europe, only that instead of the Germans attacking it was the Japanese.

And the retaliation was catastrophic, two nuclear bombs killing and crippling many I believe the number was around 200,000......with most of the casualties being innocent citizens.

The thing that ticks me is that some Americans cant seem to grasp the concept that America has made some bad decisions. Yes they have done many great things for a lot of people, but some citizens just believe blindly that every war and act of war was/is justified.

Germany never attacked the US in WWI or WWII.

No, they just attacked and sank our shipping interests. Never mind these ships were sailing under the flag of a then neutral nation. The ships were torpedoed anyway.

So, you can look at it and say that Germany never came to the US and bombed or invaded us in either world war. Or you can look at what really happened and see the hundreds of thousands of tons of shipping lying now on the bottom of the ocean (along with their American crews) care of the German U-boat fleet.

An attack on shipping interests is still an attack on America.

-be safe.

"But in my opinion the killing of 3000+ inncocent americans deserves somebody getting their ass kicked"

I believe I said, "going to war and invading a country and killing people and causing deaths of your own country men in the name of inane slogans and dubious information is nothing to be proud of."

Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Even the administration will admit that. That's faulty intelligence. Invading a country and referring to it as and "ass kicking", that's a pretty inane slogan. Thanks for making my point. It's ironic that the way things are going, more Americans are going to die in Iraq than died on 9/11. But at least someone got their ass kicked, right?

Seeing that video is like hearing about some guy who dresses up as a police officer to be able to kidnap kids/girls/whomever (or worse, a real police officer who abuses his authority like that), or hearing about priests molesting kids, etc.

Some symbols/uniforms you ought to be able to trust, and it's very sad when that gets violated.

Lets not forget about Germany and their attempts to cut a deal with Mexico. :wink:

You can not agree with the war, you can even protest the war. We are one of the few nations that allow that to happen...consider your self lucky.