is RESCUE an EMS or fire department function?

Im aware of what it is.

But should it be this way? Should it be a joint venture?

To me it comes down to a manpower issue, ambulances are usually crewed with 2 people while engines usually have 3 or 4 people. I don't believe 2 people can adequately extricate and provide pt care. So if you were to make extrication an ambulance issue you would have to pull in multiple units per extrication. This would be a drain on your available units, but the FD has a larger staff per unit ratio so they could handle it with just one unit out of service.

Peace,

Marty

:usa2:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked for Police EMS that was responsible for all rescue. It was an interesting system, in a large metro area. The F.D was only called for wash downs and fire proctection. The Police EMS was trained in Haz-Mat, high rescue as well as Tactical etc.. Yes, Police EMS units carried all the extrication equipment, (Amkus etc...). The F.D. did not get along, and more than once F.D. was asked to leave the scene.. Like I said different type of situation...

R/r 911

Here, fire and EMS are unrelated. (Except for two combined volunteer stations).

We like it separate.

EMS is way too busy doing patient care and handle rescue extrication. We have a 2 person crew (maybe 4 on a good day with a volunteer and a supervisor), there is no time for any extra curricular activities.

We tell fire what needs to get done, and they do it. We both extricate the patient together. (Yes, they can be trained for simple tasks). They help put the patient in the back of the ambulance. We leave, they clean up their tools.

My EMS agency covers 5 separate municipalities out of two stations. These 5 towns have a total of 11 fire departments (don't ask). We provide heavy rescue for three of those towns. We respond with an ALS ambulance (crew of 2), rescue truck (crew of 1-2) and the supervisor. Basic vehicle rescue is required of all employees and volunteers. The local fire department provides an engine company for hazard mitigation and provides additional manpower if needed. Several of our FD's run first responder vehicles and we will utilize them for manpower if needed. We can also do call backs for our employees and volunteers for the big one. We train with most of our FD's on a regular basis but a couple of them want nothing to do with EMS. You'll have that. We also use our rescue for FD rehab and hazmat response. It works for us. EMS got rescue because 30 yrs ago none of the FD's wanted it.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

Rescue is a fire department role. Understanding what it will entail should be undertaken by everyone that is involved. When the tools come out, let the FD handle it. When the patient comes out let the ambulance handle it.

Split the jobs, share the responsibility.

Now back to reality.

Like someone said earlier, it's a manpower issue. It's also a matter of what works best for your area, imho.

Example:

The County Rescue/EMS agency has over 160 active members, at least 30 being Heavy Rescue/Vehicle Extricators, or better. For any Vehicular Accident, ambulances w/ at least EMT-I Level on board will respond, in addition to one of the Heavy Rescue trucks. Number of Ambu's and Trucks depending on size & severity of the accident, of course. The ECC also tones out the FD with one or two engines in case of a possible vehicle fire, and/or traffic control. EMS has medical command of course, as many have stated. Here, we also have INCIDENT command...unless/until the vehicle bursts into flames, orin the event of a toxic spill.

Long story short, where I'm from, FD is on the scene for traffic control, hazmat if needed, and in the event of a possible vehicle fire...and Rescue & EMS handles...well, Rescue & EMS.

Whatever works for your area.

Here fire and ems are one and the same. For my per-diem job our on duty crew consist of two full time ff/medics at the main station and two ff/emt-iv in sprint units. Both the medics and the emts are fire/rescue/ems we do it all usually the smallest guy get into the car that had just been become fubar. The same holds true 15 miles down the road for the district that i volunteer for. We have 2 ff/medics on duty during the day one at night with usually a volunteer coming in at night. WE are all trained in extra cation and being at least an EMT-b is required. And again smallest most accessible person goes in and starts pt care.

EMS= Pt. Care

Fire= Fire/RESCUE

Police= Donuts

There are reasons for the role and history behind each one, I have yet to see a plumber that specializes in TV repair.

My area, Fire and EMS are completely separate. Fire handles extrication/stabilization of vehicle, Haz-Mat, and LZ. EMS does patient care, at times if more than one patient a Firefighter EMT or Medic will assist the EMS crew with patent care, driving the ambulance, etc. The whole thing is run as a team effort, the EMS crew works with fire, and fire works with EMS.

The key to best care is training, and team work. Cross trained fire and EMS personnel in my opinion is in the best interest of the patient. I think all rescue squads should have basic knowledge in EMS, be it just familiarity as to what the crew wants done, or minimum state level EMS certification.

Police= Donuts

Thats funny... :)

But considering the average per capita size of the typical EMS worker, wouldnt they fit the mold of the cop?

Re-written...

EMS: Patient-care / Donuts

Fire: Hoses / Glory songs / 30 blue lights / Poems of sacrifice *vomits*

PD: Guns / Donuts

*sigh* Thats better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.