Unknown medical...This is hard

You know what is sad, EMS Cadet has a better understanding than many of the people on this board who are working in EMS. He has written a precise and informative scenario, and backed up his conclusion with facts.

Kudos EMS Cadet. You can ride out with me anytime.

=D>

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good scenario! Kudos to those who picked up the possibility of OP poisioning; I thought that's where this was going when he mentioned severe lacrimation in his initial post. Now that we have identified the underlying cause of the symptoms, let's talk about tx. plans.

Good scenario! Kudos to those who picked up the possibility of OP poisioning; I thought that's where this was going when he mentioned severe lacrimation in his initial post. Now that we have identified the underlying cause of the symptoms, let's talk about tx. plans.

We could always break out the Mark I kits. For dramatic purposes we could also inject them intracardiac (like they do in the movies).

You know what is sad, EMS Cadet has a better understanding than many of the people on this board who are working in EMS. He has written a precise and informative scenario, and backed up his conclusion with facts.

Kudos EMS Cadet. You can ride out with me anytime.

=D>

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

Considering your current position as a "Body double" im not sure we want to ride ANYWHERE with you bro...;))

We could always break out the Mark I kits. For dramatic purposes we could also inject them intracardiac (like they do in the movies).

"Inject the atropine into your heart". "You want me to stick this in my heart, are you freaking insane?"

I read somewhere that seizures are a late indicator for muscarine poisoning. If that is true then this lady has already probably suffered some irreparable liver damage and will more than likely die.

IF I was bright enough to recognize the SLUDGEM symptoms and have them click in my mind, I would immediately evacuate the area and call in the Hazmat calvary, and watch as some angry Irish police officers interrogated the boyfriend. "Cross country trip, huh? See a lot of LANDMARKS, did ya? GIMME YOUR HANDS, OSAMA!!!" That's when the games would really begin.

Wild mushrooms can be toxic to you, their are types that you can eat and ones you can't eat, can you describe the mushrooms, if they have fins on the under side of the mushroom. Here is some info.

Introduction:

The Amanita spp. are a genus of mushrooms containing a few species famous for their toxicity. There are many edible amanitas, but eating the wrong one can get you into heaps of trouble, not to mention the delerium, vomiting, diarrhea, cramps, liver failure or death you may experience. Most poisonings tend to occur in people from foreign countries who pick Amanitas that look "just like" those yummy ones they ate at home or to overconfident novice mycophagists (people who wild mushrooms) who have not bothered to properly identify their mushrooms. So, if you plan to hunt the wild mushroom, make sure to arm yourself with the proper knowledge and only eat a wild mushroom in a foreign country based upon identification in that country's field guide, not a North American guide. Be sure that you use a guide and don't listen to any old wives' tales about how to tell edible mushrooms from poisonous ones.

As knowledge is your best defense in avoiding Amanita poisoning when practicing wild mushroom gathering, it is wise to become familiar with all the parts of a mushroom. The Amanita are primarily identified by the presence of a universal veil completely covering immature mushrooms, a volva or cup around the base, a partial veil which may be in the form of a ring on the upper stalk, free to slightly attached white/cream colored gills, and a white spore print. Unfortunately, some of these identifying characteristics are delicate and can be removed by rain, wind or animals. This is only a major problem if you are trying to eat the edible Amanitas. It is essential that all the identifying markers be in place to differentiate between deadly Amanitas and edible ones. If after all this, you still insist on eating Amanitas, then you're on your own!

Back to the INDEX

The Symptoms:

Amatoxins - The symptoms of amatoxin poisoning in humans are a ghoulish series of four phases, beginning with the not-too-alarming latency phase of 6-12 hours. This is followed by the gastrointestinal phase, where the human gets its first inkling that something is not quite right. The gastrointestinal phase consists of diarrhea, dehydration, vomiting and, not surprisingly, abdominal pains. The third phase begins with the patient feeling deceptively better off (another latency period) until the fourth and final phase hits. The final phase consists of the final degradation of the liver and kidney until, between the fourth and eighth day after ingestion, the patient lapses into hepatic coma combined with renal failure, ending in death. All this from a dose of 0.1 mg/kg body weight or even lower. That's not much mushroom to kill a person!

cholera-like diarrhea

dehydration

vomiting

abdominal pains

drop in coagulation factors

increase in liver enzymes (SGOT,SGPT,LDH)

hepatic failure

encephalopathy

kidney damage

DEATH due to combined liver and renal failure

Phallotoxins & Virotoxins

severe swelling of the liver

cessation of bile flow

Phallolysins

The phallolysins are labile against acids and heat, and do not contribute to human Amanita poisoning.

Ibotenic acid (and possibly its derivative, muscimol)

central nervous system depression

ataxia

hysteria

hallucinations - even worse this amino acid may drive you to drink urine.

Web page: http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxica...ta/amanita.html

So their for I believe it is the mushrooms that has caused her problems.