Motorcycle Helmets

medstudent30

Should there be a helmet law for motorcyclists, just like there is for seatbelts in vehicles?  

43 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know/No opinion

Personally, I do wear a helmet. If you find a decent one that fits you properly, it's really not that bad.

At high speeds, it probably won't make a huge difference. I'll wear it on the "off-chance" that it will.

At lower speeds, it is a nice hard surface between my face and the pavement. I'm a fan of not having road-rash on my face.

I am always cautious about the government playing nanny, (See also: England) and for that reason I would hesitate to put laws in place that mandate helmet use. Perhaps insurance companies could give discounts to those wearing helmets as an incentive, or charge extra to those who do not wear them (which could be applied retrospectively after you've been caught in an accident without a helmet).

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be up to the tax payers, to hell with their personal freedoms. Because when those careless bastards are in a coma for the rest of their lives, and have no insurance, we're going to be footing the bill. Every year tax payers spend over 65 Billion dollars on long term health care caused by motorcycle accidents alone..

And beside that; prior to PA abolishing the helmet law, I'd never seen a motorcyclist die on the scene. Since then, I can only think of one, out of dozens, where it wasn't an instant or shortly after fatality. I know they die even with helmets on, but why set the stage for death early on? eh? I'm tired of seeing youthful minds pooled on the pavement, and brain tissue die as we work because their head hit a telephone pole.

It really doesn't matter if there is a Helmet law or not. Just like seat belts, even tho there is a mandatory seat belt law there are still people who choose not to wear them. The same would be for the Helmets. I personally voted yes. I wear one, I make my kids wear one. But there are so many who could care less. "It makes my hair flat!"

Here we do not have a Helmet law, the police officer's sometimes don't wear them when off duty. But I think that if there were, more people would wear them just to save themselves a ticket, thus possibly save thier hide.

• 1 year later...

I agree with the eairlyer post... not wearing a helmet is a classic example of social darwinism at its best... if your not bright enough to realize what a helmet can do when you dump your bike... then crackin your mellon open is what your asking for...

I agree with the eairlyer post... not wearing a helmet is a classic example of social darwinism at its best... if your not bright enough to realize what a helmet can do when you dump your bike... then crackin your mellon open is what your asking for...
And how many heads can we count that we have peeled off the highways. If people saw what most of us have seen...I bet they'd put that helmet on. I had terrible dreams after my first one.

i ride a bike i would never be caught with out my helmet even moving it from the front street to the back shead i have 2 helmets a halfie and a full face both DOT approved the halfie is way cool but i only wear it in town caus i like my head and refuse to wear it at high speed unless im giving someone a ride yes every provice/State should have the DOT standard law's caus even the short helmets have DOT standards and IMO they look better than no helmet

I use to ride, I crashed doing about 110mph (I was on a race track) Full leather gear, helmet, boots, etc etc. My helmet was cracked, scratched to heck... I walked away. A very good friend of mine... was being stupid on another ocassion. He was doing a wheelie... he looped over backwards... there was paint from his helmet marked up on small trees going through the woods... he stumbled away... then I forced him to go to the hospital. I have responded to numerous bike related accidents, some had on helmets, some didn't. I don't enjoy seeing brains splattered on the street.... please wear a helmet. I owe my life to having on a helmet. I hope everyone else would do the same.

i ride a bike i would never be caught with out my helmet even moving it from the front street to the back shead i have 2 helmets a halfie and a full face both DOT approved the halfie is way cool but i only wear it in town caus i like my head and refuse to wear it at high speed unless im giving someone a ride yes every provice/State should have the DOT standard law's caus even the short helmets have DOT standards and IMO they look better than no helmet

That's a painful post to read the way it's written. Please use some attempt at punctuation. It makes things a lot easier for the rest of us to read, and you come across as having put forth some effort in your posting.

Also, in the US every helmet sold by a dealer (that's not a "novelty" helmet) has to be DOT approved. It's against the law to sell one that isn't. SNELL is another rating to look for, which is optional by the manufacturer.

I do wear a helmet when I ride. I've never ridden without one. And while I don't think it's the smartest thing to do when you ride without one, it's your choice. I'm not going to get on a soapbox and tell everyone they have to wear a helmet. People are going to do their own thing. Just like people speed in cars and get into accidents. I've done plenty of significant car accidents related to unsafe speeds, but noone makes as big of a deal about them.

Shane

NREMT-P

I have always loved to ride, and probably always will. Short trips up my country road, I've left the helmet off, but I always wear one on trips. We that ride know it isn't the coolest thing to do, but it's the safe thing to do. I'm sure I will always wear a helmet, just like I'll always smoke Marlboro Lights. To each his or her own. Can't really say as to where it should be a law or not, since our government already has enough rule over us. Just be safe.

i have never understood why the helemet laws were repealed In Ky the helmet law was repealed the same year our first seatbelt law was passed go figure I have personally picked up several dead that probably would have survived if they had a helmet. I understand that it is all tied to federal highway money that the fed govt requires seatbelt laws and doesnt helmet laws anymore to keep $ coming from washington