EMT-B ? Hourly Pay, Benefits, Training, etc.?

danb

Hoping to get some help on here.

First of all I am going to an accelerated EMT-B school in Indiana in a few weeks (www.emtinc.net). I am wanting to find employment that will offer the best (like anyone else). I have many employment offers but I want to get in and stay put. I dont mind relocating anywhere in the US. Here is what I am looking for.

1. Nice starting EMT-B pay ($10hr +)

2. Nice family medical benefit package.

3. Prefer 24 hour or 48 hour shifts.

4. Prefer a company offering lots of overtime (would like to work atleast 3 "24" hour shifts a week)

5. Hoping to get lucky and find a civil or private company with a paid pension plan. I have been offered a county job with retirement in 27 years. But I have seen Southwest Ambulance has a pension in 20 years.

6. Most importantly looking for an agency that will provide in house training for me to become an EMT-P.

7. Dont mind a large metro area as long as they are some family friendly towns nearby.

I know this is alot but a career choice is very important to all of us and I am sure they are alot of newbies that would like the same info.

Best I have found is www.swambulance.com although I do not know their starting pay for EMT-B's.

Your suggestions and info is greatly appreciated!

Dan

Ohio

Wow guys such helpful info! Thanks!!! :wink:

Didnt say provider had to meet the whole criteria! :lol:

Guess www.swambulance.com is about the best I am going to find then!

SWA seems like a good place to start... or come to Ontario :D

I am in NW Indiana and working for my county. This by far has the best benefits and pay. also will send me to school for EMT-P. Not sure when i will be going tho. I would consider the county carefully. Privates around here are mostly BLS transfer crews and the pay is not very good. they work three 13 hour days and have 4 days off. they cannot respond lights and sirens in my county unless they are on a transfer that has turned into an emergency. i am much happier with county working 24's. Good luck with your search :D :!:

Hoping to get some help on here.

First of all I am going to an accelerated EMT-B school in Indiana in a few weeks (www.emtinc.net). I am wanting to find employment that will offer the best (like anyone else). I have many employment offers but I want to get in and stay put. I dont mind relocating anywhere in the US. Here is what I am looking for.

1. Nice starting EMT-B pay ($10hr +)

2. Nice family medical benefit package.

3. Prefer 24 hour or 48 hour shifts.

4. Prefer a company offering lots of overtime (would like to work atleast 3 "24" hour shifts a week)

5. Hoping to get lucky and find a civil or private company with a paid pension plan. I have been offered a county job with retirement in 27 years. But I have seen Southwest Ambulance has a pension in 20 years.

6. Most importantly looking for an agency that will provide in house training for me to become an EMT-P.

7. Dont mind a large metro area as long as they are some family friendly towns nearby.

I know this is alot but a career choice is very important to all of us and I am sure they are alot of newbies that would like the same info.

Best I have found is www.swambulance.com although I do not know their starting pay for EMT-B's.

Your suggestions and info is greatly appreciated!

Dan

Ohio

Hey this is not all that unrealistic.

First pay. After training which lasts 2 weeks the starting pay is 9.75 an hour.

Benefits- They cost around 250 a month for the whole family. Pretty good coverage.

Shifts- Variable. Most shifts are 24s. There some inter-facility with 12s or 20s.

Paramedic school- Hell yes. That's why I came here. You must be a Basic for 1yr and test for it. In addition you sign a contract to pay off school, but you get pay and school is free.

OT- I've never had a problem getting as much as I want. I usually put in 160-180 hours every other week.

401K with matching and a 20 yr pension.

In fairness there are downsides but I thin it is a great place to work.

Hey this is not all that unrealistic.

First pay. After training which lasts 2 weeks the starting pay is 9.75 an hour.

Benefits- They cost around 250 a month for the whole family. Pretty good coverage.

Shifts- Variable. Most shifts are 24s. There some inter-facility with 12s or 20s.

Paramedic school- Hell yes. That's why I came here. You must be a Basic for 1yr and test for it. In addition you sign a contract to pay off school, but you get pay and school is free.

OT- I've never had a problem getting as much as I want. I usually put in 160-180 hours every other week.

401K with matching and a 20 yr pension.

In fairness there are downsides but I thin it is a great place to work.

When you say 160-180 hours you mean you work an average of 80-90 hours per week? Thats exactly what I am looking for! Thanks for your help!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.