More Narcan heartburn...

smle

Just to toss some gasoline on the flames: Here in New Mexico, EMT-Basics are allowed to give Narcan AND use it *diagnostically*. In cases of unconscious/unresponsive patients with no known cause, Basics may administer 0.4mg Narcan IM/SQ on standing orders up to 2mg. Basics may also administer Narcan intra-nasally.

NALOXONE (NARCAN®)

CLASS OF DRUG

Narcotic antagonist

INDICATIONS

1. Reversal of narcotic effects, particularly respiratory depression, due to narcotic drugs, whether

ingested, injected, or administered in the course of treatment. Narcotic drugs include agents

such as morphine, Demerol®, heroin, Dilaudid®, Percodan®, codeine, Lomotil®, propoxyphene

(Darvon®), pentazocine (Talwin®).

2. For unconsciousness of unknown etiology to rule out (or reverse) narcotic depression of CNS.

CONTRAINDICATIONS

1. Hypersensitivity

2. Absences of indication

DRUG INTERACTION

1. May induce narcotic withdrawal

ADMINISTRATION

Adult: [0.4 mg – 2.0 mg] IVP (2.0 mg total dose) - [0.4 – 2.0 mg] if IM, SQ, ET

Titrate to respiratory effort/rate. May be repeated at 2 - 3 minutes, if needed.

[2mg (1mg per naris)] IN

Pediatric: [0.1 mg/kg]< 5 yrs or 20 kg, [2 mg] 5 yr or > 20kg IV, ET, IM, SQ, IO,

May be repeated at 0.1 mg/kg if no response.

Neonate: [0.1 mg/kg] slow IVP, ET, IM, SQ, IO; repeat in 2-3 minutes, if needed

(mix 1 ml of naloxone, 0.4 mg in 9 ml of D5W, which gives 0.04 mg/ml)

Note: Much higher doses should be given to patients with suspected propoxyphene

(Darvon®), pentazocine (Talwin®), and fentanyl overdoses.

SPECIAL NOTES

1. The patient may quickly become conscious and combative.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Smle, yep. I thought this issue has been debated to 13 pages and admin locking the thread. Perhaps history really is meant to repeat its self. :roll:

Take care,

chbare.

:twisted: I'm just amused by the sputtering indignation of certain "stuffed shirts" who seem to think that nobody without a "P" on their license should be allowed to adminsiter this or that drug. I reminds me of a certain set of other stuffed shirts who think nobody who doesn't have "MD" after their name should be allowed to "play doctor". :roll:

:twisted: I'm just amused by the sputtering indignation of certain "stuffed shirts" who seem to think that nobody without a "P" on their license should be allowed to adminsiter this or that drug. I reminds me of a certain set of other stuffed shirts who think nobody who doesn't have "MD" after their name should be allowed to "play doctor". :roll:

What's your point? Whom are the 'stuffed shirts,' to which you are refering to?

[stream:b74bcc0ce4]http://www.amfp.org/boondock/sounds/wentwrong.wav[/stream:b74bcc0ce4]

negative4.jpg

[stream:b74bcc0ce4]http://www.amfp.org/boondock/sounds/cowboy.wav[/stream:b74bcc0ce4]

Boondock11.jpg

I know more than a few people who don't have "P" after their name that feel the same...

Out here,

ACE

WTF? Over. I agree....Troll.