IV Pumps

ReD

We're starting to do a few transfers and looking into getting a pump. I was wondering what kinda pumps ya'll use? Obviously we're looking for something with good battery life, easy to program, and that can handle at least 3 lines. also, one whos casettes/pump tubing isnt too expensive and is available in an extension as well as the full drip set. and one thats ruggid is always a plus.

I have used several different versions and all have their good points and bad alike. The best I have seen that has the your requirements is the IVAC or Alaris. I have used these for at least the last 20 years and have not had any major problems. I have used them in the helio (with great vibration) and in the field.. they are not cheap (as any other pump) but you can infuse 3 types of solutions as well as use syringe or the bag. They only accept their tubing like almost every other IV pump.. but only weigh about 2 pounds.

They are rugged, but don't purposefully drop or abuse them.. like any other IV pump.

We have one on each truck.. it is nice for transports..

Here is link to one EMS supplier...

Good luck,

R/r 911

We have our own, but since no pump accepts another pump's tubing, we just use the hospital's pump. We haven't had any issues with this, as the trucks all have invertors to charge the pump and our LP12's on the longer transfers that we get from time to time.

For the most part, we dial-a-flow a lot of stuff.

We have our own, but since no pump accepts another pump's tubing, we just use the hospital's pump.

Yeah, it's just a given that if a hospital wants a patient sent on a pump, they send the pump. I can't think of any good reason for an urban agency to buy a pump.

The problem is most hospital pumps are heavy, awkward, and very few hospitals I know of allow pumps to "just go with EMS". Personally, I do not know how EMS systems survive without one. The legal complications of placing most med.'s without one is just asking for litigation.

Transporting patients on K+, Mg+, NTG, Nipride, Heparin, drips etc.. is a routine thing anymore. Pharmaceutical inserts now address that most of these med.'s MUST be monitored on IV pumps. Using a microdrip chamber sets, does not assure you that it is the proper amount, with road bumps etc.. yes, a few extra drops does mean a lot. Dial-a- flow, although are nice for fluids, should NEVER be used for medication(s) that need a accurate infusion rate.

Again, like the discussion of pharmacology, I know very few Paramedics that are able to calculate drip ranges (drops per minute) as well as we used to. IV pumps are not that expensive, especially in lieu of a law suit.

Be safe,

R/r 911

We have our own, but since no pump accepts another pump's tubing, we just use the hospital's pump.

Agree. Since one of my fulltimes is hospital based it's of course use theirs. At my county district we use the local ED's and return it when we're done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.