What company should I work for?

danb

Will be beginning my new career as an EMT-B in the upcoming weeks.

Seems like I may have alot of choices on who to start work for.

Would you guys suggest AMR, Rural/Metro, MedCorps, county EMS agencies or what?

I am not just looking at pay but prefer working 24 hour shifts with great family benefits and good retirement plans!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

(Subject Line Modified For Clarity - Admin)

Danb, Welcome to the city. There are several threads that discuss the merits of various EMS agencies. You may find it hard to make a career as an EMT-B. (low pay & limited job opportunities) If you have the means, get into college and get a degree in medicine. (Paramedic, Nursing, RT, etc)

Take care,

chbare.

I am not just looking at pay but prefer working 24 hour shifts with great family benefits and good retirement plans!

Then you're looking in the wrong business.

Nobody retires with benefits from EMS unless they are a fireman or disabled in the line of duty.

Nobody can put up with the BS long enough to retire. It simply doesn't happen. So don't let so-called retirement benefits that you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever receiving be a deciding factor. Focus on working conditions.

Will be beginning my new career as an EMT-B in the upcoming weeks.

Seems like I may have alot of choices on who to start work for.

Would you guys suggest AMR, Rural/Metro, MedCorps, county EMS agencies or what?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

-5 for generic title

What are you specifically looking for a employer. Find out what each offers, and pick the best and closest option to that.

Kumbyya will follow.

I work for Southwest Ambulance in Phoenix AZ. My pay is 9.75 per hour and I work 24s. OT is always available. You would start dooing interfacility transports but can go to EMS in 90days or less. We have a 20yr retirement program and good other benifets. Here however is the best part:

We have an in house Paramedic program!!!! No charge!!! Full pay and benifets while in school!! Paramedic pay and wait you get paid for 56 hours a week even though school is M-F 8 hours a day!!!

[ Of course there is a catch..you sign a contract to work for 2 years as a medic. If you break the contact you pay back the cost of school on a prorated basis.

I moved from Hawaii as an EMT-I to work here as a basic. It was the best decision I've made in a long time. I should be starting medic school in a few months.

Anyway congrats on your new career.

Just wanted to mention that I went as an observed with SW Ambulance in Scottsdale when I was visiting last December and everyone there was very nice and welcoming... seemed like a relatively nice place to work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.