For the volly services: What kind of crew schedule??

There has been a push to go to full time paid EMS, a vote more than likely will be cast next month to move in that direction, without much say from the volunteers. Our county has been going through the biggest growth spurt in 30 years-the board of supervisors are saying-"People moving here expect the same amenities they had where they lived, we have to go paid". [/font:41f2065da6]

As they should be able to expect. Paid EMS is good!

Yeah, What is a EMT-J?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best that my google skills can come up with is "EMT-Johnson" (not joking, either...)

http://www.tjems.org/skillsdelineation.pdf

WTF is an EMT-J?

An Orthodox Jew? :?

Wouldn't that be an EMT-OJ?

Or would an EMT-OJ be an EMT with a knife, a white ford bronco, and a bloody glove that's too small?

/remembers that chase

//Reconizes half the chase scenes at the start of Enemy of the State

ok, this is in response to all those who want to know what happens when the squad i'm on doesn't answer the page. what happens is they'll page us like 2 or 3 times, if we don't respond on the 2nd or 3rd page, then county will page Menomenie Fire for the run. as far as what happens after, i'm not sure, it's only ever happened once to my memory.

How long would it take them to get to the third page?

How long would it take them to get to the third page?

Significantly longer than it takes to exsanguinate.

Longer than it takes to go from sinus tach to asystole.

Aren't you glad you don't live there?

And if you did live there, don't you think you would have been in your community leaders' faces about it by now?

most retones are on a 5 minute spread.

That's if the dispatcher isn't too busy running driver licence checks for 20 cops and feeding prisoners.

Significantly longer than it takes to exsanguinate.

Longer than it takes to go from sinus tach to asystole.

Aren't you glad you don't live there?

And if you did live there, don't you think you would have been in your community leaders' faces about it by now?

I love Ontario.

If people want to have volunteer services, fine (although it sure seems like better care is offered by paid people who do it as a career rather than a hobby). But if you're going to have a volunteer service you should at least act like a service. That means answering calls! If it's just whoever wants to that answers the page and there's not even a schedule it sounds a lot more like a bunch of people with light bars on their cars who choose when they want to help.

My service has minimum hours to pull a month. Luckily we have several folks that are retired and add to that the people who are paid elsewhere, we have pretty good coverage. It a call is not answered in 5 minutes, the next 2 closest stations are dispatched. What is amazing is that over half of our calls are mutual aid. I would say 75% of those are to one stations first due. They are EMS only and have 4 ambulances, but can not seem to get out very often!!

Sarge

I am currently staffing officer of a full 24/7 volunteer station, there are only 3 full volunteer stations in the county, the others are a mix of paid/volunteer. Our station has about 30 members on the roster. Some are just aides and some are college students that come and go. We have a set schedule with I have to tweak monthly. Each member is required to run a 12 hour shift weekly (6-18 or 18-6) and we have a four week rotating weekend schedule. This means that each member runs a 12 hour weekend shift every four weeks. Weekend shifts are sat day, sat night and sunday day. As you can imagine day shifts are hard to fill. Once summer comes and people go on vacation, it is rough to fill in the day shifts. Members are required to post those shifts they can't run and find coverage. Usually though, I end up calling and begging people to fill the holes. I find it funny that our members complain about the 60 hour a month commitment when someone mentioned earlier they have to vol 144 hours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.