For the volly services: What kind of crew schedule??

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EMT-J's are EMT-B's with capabilities of giving certain medications without medical command.

Albuterol

Diphenhydramine

Epinephrine

Glucagon

Ipratropium

Naxolone HCL

Nitroglycerin

Nitropaste[/font:567a8676bf]

:shock:

Uh-oh I feel another debate coming on!!

Peace,

Marty

:thumbleft:

My squad operates on the following schedule:

Main station:

Days (0600-1500 or 0900-1800 or 0600-1200 option on weekdays): work the same day every week

Nights (1800-0600): Rotating nights (i.e., if you work Wednesday night one week, the next week you'll work Thursday night)

Sub-station:

Days (0600-1800): work the same day every week

Nights (1800-0600): work the same day every week

It works out fairly well, although I'm not a big fan of rotating night shifts, which is why I mostly work dayside.

With regard to EMT-J, I've never heard of it, although Virginia has been known to have some very odd, non-standard levels, unfortunately. We currently have an "EMT-Enhanced" level which is more or less the old "Shock-Trauma" - I see very little point to it; from the course material I've reviewed, it really does seem like ALS without the education, and too little training. Think of being able to start IVs and intubations with a very limited list of medications.

Made sense back in the 1970's when we thought IV's actually saved lives.

The 1970's were three decades ago.

It makes zero sense now. These half-arsed, on-the-cheap, paramedic wannabe levels need to go the way of the dinosaur.

Guest Beegers

My city is f*cked up.

We have a paid service currently 24/7...They answer primary calls and the volunteers are on 1800 to 0600, paid answers second hits and mutual aid...Between 1800 and 0000, volunteers take first hits, and 0000 to 0600 takes second hits to the paid as well as mutual aid.

The volunteer shift schedule currently has regular crews during said hours...for instance, my regular nights are Tuesday 1800 to 0000 and Thursdays 0000 to 0600. Sundays we also have regular crews from 0600 to 1200 and 1200 to 1800. Saturdays between 0600 and 1800 however is a rotating schedule currently we each shift has an assigned day once every 8th week.

I don't know how much longer this current schedule will last as I hear that the paid service in my city is f*cking up royally since they've been in the city. Last I heard they possibly or nearly killed a patient with their sheer laziness and negligence for walking an MI pt to the rig and never getting a list of meds, for which pt was on coumadin, and Dr at hospital administered heparin. I'm still waiting to hear what comes of this because this may be the thing that does that company in.

15 minutes = dead (most retones are on a 5 minute spread).

That's because you can't leave in the RIG until all 5 volunteers are on the RIG.

The DRIVER

The CREW CHIEF

The CLIPBOARD CARRIER

The STRETCHER PERSON

The VITALS person

And God forbid you ask one of them to do something else than what they are assigned to do by the CREW CHIEF.

That's because you can't leave in the RIG until all 5 volunteers are on the RIG.

The DRIVER

The CREW CHIEF

The CLIPBOARD CARRIER

The STRETCHER PERSON

The VITALS person

And God forbid you ask one of them to do something else than what they are assigned to do by the CREW CHIEF.

Maybe you have had bad experiences with volunteers, but do not lump us all together like that!!! Especially when (as at my station) a lot of volunteers are paid folks elsewhere who do this on their time off. We have folks who are Battalion Chiefs or Captains, for paid departments. No "clipboard carriers!!" Sometimes I wonder why I even visit this site anymore. The bashing is not worth the few nuggets of knowledge I find amongst the other rubbish!!

Sarge

SSG- it is a real problem, we had to institute a rule of 3 max on the ambulance. There are certain personnel that actually prefer more than three. Personally I think an engine can take the additional manpower, but I am generally confident enough that a driver is enough in most cases.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.