New USAToday article

I dont get to deviate from mine. Thats all im saying, I dont always agree with it. But that is how it goes in my area.

To borrow a line from Dust, if that's how it goes in your area then your area sucks. Remind me not to get sick if I visit.

What bothers me more is that you just seem to throw up your hands and accept such mediocrity. Why aren't you working to change this? Why are you so resistant to the idea of change? Especially when it can be an improvement to what already exists?

Dust and Rid are right on with their assessments. I also think they're right on with their ideas for change. And either way you look at it, change in the form of increased education and guidelines (as opposed to strict 'follow these protocols or else') is on it's way. It may take some time. But we should be getting used to the idea.

-be safe.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incompetencey is not reserved for the non educated, there are plenty of educated people that are incompetent.

Can we at least agree on this?

I just do not see it happening, to require people that have 2 and 4 year degrees to obtain employment in the EMS field?

Where do you suggest we get the money to re-educate every paramedic and emt. Most communities dont have the money to get their trucks on the road.

Do we grand-father every one already certified, or do the require re-education.

As far as the protocols I can speak only to mine.

I dont get to deviate from mine. Thats all im saying, I dont always agree with it. But that is how it goes in my area.

You can 'deviate' from your protocols in your area...Which I'm guessing is the southeastern part of Mass. Perhaps Brocton or Plymouth way..??? There is a mechanisim in place for doing so which as an

Yeah I have no experience with arrests none. I have probably worked or been a part of working hundreds of codes.
should know about and how to do it. Matter of fact that very statement makes you 'sound' like a hypocrite. Then you go about making the mistake of attacking a long time poster here in another thread who used to work in your system, and knows most of the 'old school' people in your area well..Not smart my friend...

Hope this helps,

ACE844

I just throw up my hands and accept mediocrity. You dint know me well enough to make that assumption, in fact I have had multiple discussions with ER doctors to no avail. over protocol such as no blood sugar capabilities for EM T's, oral glucose is useless in the pre-hospital setting, without the ability to take a BS. among others.

I just throw up my hands and accept mediocrity. You dint know me well enough to make that assumption, in fact I have had multiple discussions with ER doctors to no avail. over protocol such as no blood sugar capabilities for EM T's, oral glucose is useless in the pre-hospital setting, without the ability to take a BS. among others.

Perhaps you haven't structured your 'opinion' when you speak to them in the most effective manner. Or more than likely you presented your case to them the same way you have in the great majority of your posts here on this board. If that is the case it would take them less than 5 minutes to know you haven't the slightest clue what your talking about...and you aren't up on either the standard of care or the literature. In which case they stopped listening and smiled politely after you said, "Hey, doc, ya know. We should really be able to do BGL's and stuff cuz we can ya know. It's not hard. Right?".... Some friendly advice, read the literature, the books and texts that have been suggested to you, and ask humble, yet intelligent questions, and utilize the search function on this board and you may find a much better reception from the 'group' at large here...

OUT HERE,

ACE844

Im not looking for acceptance, I am at times very opinionated, sometimes I should just keep my mouth shut. I am also very passionate about the job I do. If I believe somthing needs to be changed I voice my opionion. If people have a problem with that oh well. Does it sometimes get me in some hot water? Of course. Does it some time get the problem fixed? yes

Yet you should understand that being that way can be an express line to 'unemployment,' and being 'blackballed'. Especially in this state.

ACE844

I am not worried about being blackballed, I dint suppress my opinions to keep my job. I am head strong and I do sometimes resemble a bull in a china closet. But my concerns are real. If people on this board disagree with me, I cant help that. I understand the survival rates of cardiac arrest? And yes if there is a one percent chance of survival. That is still a chance in my book. I am not yahoo. I know the limitations of this field. I know who is viable and who is not. But if there is a chance at survival, who and my to not give them that opportunity.

And judging by a lot of your posts, I would say that is probably a very good thing. The worst thing that can be done is to put an under-educated or uneducated (I think you are the former, not the latter BTW) practitioner into a position with a great deal of leeway.

??? Whit- your post seem to contradict one another. Why not just advance your training and education to the point where you are able to utilize all available interventions, that is the only way to ensure the highest level of care for your patients. Arguing with a MD is a route that will only get you run out of the business. You say you are not worried about being blackballed, but you are passionate about your job- seems that some tact mixed in with your passion would serve you better than some ranting.

And judging by a lot of your posts, I would say that is probably a very good thing. The worst thing that can be done is to put an under-educated or uneducated (I think you are the former, not the latter BTW) practitioner into a position with a great deal of leeway.

This is exactly why in most 'Progressive' EMS systems ( which have clinical leeway) you are tested numerous times at all different levels, have practical testing as well as alot of 'face' time and testing by the med con. as well. Lastly you are required to keep up on skills and or do labs, on them to 'keep profecient'. Thus the type of clinician as represented by 'Whit72,' would never make it into this system type to begin with. Being left with the reality of merely commenting about the evils of 'Evidenced based medicine & studies' from the outside....

Out here,

ACE844

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.