c-spine immobilization in buildings

Defiant1

ok, i had just thought of this, say you have a patient who you need c-spine precautions for, the only problem is, they are in an area you can't get them out of with while they are on a long board because the stairway is too low and narrow and has too many sharp corners.

so my question is, would you put them in a KED and then strap them to a stair chair to get them to the longboard / stretcher, or is there something i had forgotten/ not been taught in my Basic class?

If you properly immobilize a pt, you should be able to stand them up, flip em over, whatever and they should not move.

Cross the chest, cross the pelvis, across and under the feet = no movement.

I hate the national standard that still shows and accepts 3 horizontal straps...how the hell does this immoblize someone???

Had a call the other day which required me to do so in a tiny tiny bathroom. With 4 of us crammed in, we immobilized the pt. standing. And yeah, if it's truly immobilized you can go sideways and even upside with no problem. Some instructors kindly demonstrated this to the class using me as a dummy back when I was in class. :shock:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.