Dustdevil in Iraq-with pictures!

Quick question that confirms just how much a civilian I am: Is that some kind of land mine that you say the jarheads were kicking? Kind of looks like an out of place broken boat propeller to me.

It's the tail end of a 60mm mortar shell that is buried in the sand. They shoot mortars at us everyday here, and a great many of them just land harmlessly in the sand like this, some never exploding. This one has obviously been there a very long time, and apparently has been run over a few times without ever exploding. The Marines stared at it for awhile, then, thinking maybe it was just a set of disembodied fins, kicked it. It was funny to watch. After the kick, there was about three seconds of them standing absolutely motionless. Then there was about five seconds of slowly backing away. Then there was the mad dash as they all came screaming past me, lol.

No telling how many dozens -- if not hundreds -- of those things are sitting in the sand here.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dust-

We have had our differences in the past but as far as I am concerned by gones are by gones. I wouldnt do what you are doing for all the tea in china. Seeing what you do and where you do it has definately given me a new found respect. Keep your head down and be in touch if there is anything you want from home.

PS- What the hell did that piece of shrapnel come off? Apparently the insurgents didnt see the "Mission Accomplised" banner aboard that aircraft carrier.

Thanks, Man. Nothing here is personal. It's all about the profession.

The shrapnel is a piece of shell casing from an artillery shell that was set up as a roadside IED not far from the base. It was set off right next to a heavily armoured truck and cut right through it like a hot knife through butter. The driver caught that piece in the face. Hard to believe that big, flat piece of casing came through several inches of armour, but it sure did. That wasn't the only piece that hit him, just the biggest.

I still find it strange that people bring up the "Mission Accomplished" banner as if it is significant. Two sorts of people do that; the ignorant and the disingenuous. The ignorant truly are too dumb to have figured out that the banner was for the crew of the ship, which had indeed accomplished its mission. The speech explained that, but they didn't listen to the speech. Too busy watching sitcoms, I guess. Then there is the disingenuous who know damn well what the banner was for, but assume everybody else is ignorant and/or stupid enough to believe the lie if it is told often enough. Either way, it's a really bad sign, and it gets really old.

Dust,

The pics really bring it home and give us some chilling reality as to what is happening over there. I am sure they don't even touch the surface as to what you see day in and day out. Bless you for all you are doing.

I wish you peace, safety, and God speed back to the City and your home and loved ones. You and everyone else over there are in the hearts of so many.

Stay safe.........

I wish it were. Unfortunately, it is serious business. Like this...

Two weeks ago, three Navy SEALs were flown into our ER after suffering shrapnel wounds from a grenade attack. One of them died of his injuries. I wasn't sure this would ever make the news, because most of what SEALs do never does. But today, this appeared on my hometown (Hamilton, Ontario) newspaper's website, so the word is out. Not that it will bring Mikey back, but I certainly hope his family receives the ultimate medal in testiment to his ultimate sacrifice.

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs...l=1112101662670

Throws Himself on Grenade to Save Comrades

hs1495753_1.jpg

The Associated Press

CORONADO, Calif. (Oct 14, 2006)

A U.S. Navy SEAL sacrificed his life to save his comrades by throwing himself on top of a grenade tossed into their sniper hideout by Iraqi insurgents.

Four SEALs said Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael Monsoor, above left, had been near the only door to the rooftop structure Sept. 29 when the grenade hit him in the chest and bounced to the floor.

"He never took his eye off the grenade, his only movement was down toward it," said a 28-year-old lieutenant who sustained shrapnel wounds to both legs that day.

"He undoubtedly saved mine and the other SEALs' lives, and we owe him."

The members of the elite sea, air and land force spoke anonymously because their work requires their identities to remain secret.

Monsoor, a 25-year-old gunner, was killed in the explosion in Ramadi, west of Baghdad.

Two SEALs next to Monsoor were injured. Another who was three to four metres from the blast was unhurt.

This week, fellow SEALs remembered "Mikey" as a loyal friend, a fun-loving guy and a quiet, dedicated professional.

One said that Monsoor's father and brother are both former marines and that he had a deep respect for other troops.

• Adios, Mikey. We miss you. See you at that big Officer's Club in the sky.

his ultimate sacrifice

I recall learning of a ground-soldier in Vietnam, who, in order to save his fellows, leapt onto a grenade before it exploded. I've never forgotten the story.

Such resoluteness effecting such finality can leave one only amazed and in awe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.