Seatbelt Usage

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No and that is the first thing that is tucked away...

I would ask you for the same clarification as from PRPG.

Are you saying you will NEVER wear them at any time in the back of the ambulance? Or are you simply saying you won't wear them if they keep you from performing patient care? There is a difference.

I don't wear my seatbelt in the front or the back.

Yes, I know...

- I put myself at risk

- I know the ambulance gives an illusion of safety

- that the other guy is the one I should watch out for/vehicle mechanical problems

I don't, nor do 90% of the people I work with jizz ourselves when we go to a chest pain or pedestrian struck. Ya, we get there, but I don't loose my mind and drive like an idiot. Same with going to the hospital, if I'm sliding around on the bench you better be slowing the fock down.

I would wager that it is 50/50 for people here wearing their belt in the front. In the back? I have NEVER seen someone wear it.

We don't have a lot of wide open runs at calls, mainly cramped major city streets. And yes I know that doesn't make a difference, but I have never heard of a paramedic being killed here when in the ambulance after getting into an accident (and yes, I know that doesn't matter either).

Here's what I do.

On the way to any call, at any speed, no matter where I'm seated, I'm buckled in.

During a call:

If I am taking vitals, and doing something that I don't need to be super close to the pt for (eg, taking a history on a non critical patient) then I am on the bench seat, belted in. If I'm playing go-fer, I'm in the captain's chair, belted in when I'm not fetching whatever needs to be fetched. If I'm doing compressions, I'm not belted in- but I do try to maintain 3 points of contact with ambulance surface- feeet, knees and hip or head if possible... same with any other interventions that require me to be moving around the compartment. Seated as much as possible; belted in as much as possible.

My sense of balance isn't supreme; I'm not a champion ambulance surfer. I try to safeguard myself as much as I possibly can.

Wendy

NREMT-B

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

Wow, I am surprised at some of the responses.

Mine and my partners seatbelt is fastened before we ever pull out of the station. The key doesnt get turned until we are buckled. We do it because we want to, however my old county enacted the rule that it is a fireable offense if you are not buckled. I support it 100 percent.

As for the back of the rig, I buckle every chance I get. I dont care if I do it 10 times during a single transport, I always do it.

I always buckle up in the front; however, I am guilty of not doing it in the back. It is a very good idea. I guess I never thought about it since we usually have short transport times and I am usually busy with the patient.

I do my best to drive safely in my POV and buckle up in there as well. I don't take unnecessary risks (yes, I'm a boring driver) but I clearly recall that the wreck I was in was due to the other driver's failure to yield. Not buckling up just because your vehicle is being operated safely puts you at risk of being injured more seriously by the rest of the unsafe drivers out there.

I do not care what vehicle I am riding in or driving, amublance or private vehicle, I always buckle up. Front or back of ambulance, I buckle up, driving car, pickup, firetruck, no matter I buckle up. You do not ride with me unless you buckle up. Before I do anything else, when I get into a vehicle I buckle up and make sure everyone else is buckled in as well, then I start the vehicle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.