Stretcher to the House?

Just to clarify, you're going to make the supine pt uncomfortable by putting them on a metal scoop or a wood board because you don't feel like carrying the stretcher in?

Yeah, I like my back

I guess I don't see the stretcher as as much of a hinderance as you folks make it out to be. Around here (service of ~60 FT and about 20-30 PT) I have yet to see someone who does not bring the stretcher to the pt when we're ready to transport unless it can't fit or the pt is ambulatory. Majority of the time, it is brought in with you.

Well perhaps you have light stretchers there.....here they weigh on avg about 60lbs, now add a pt (avg about 250lbs.) + equipment ( about 40lbs or so) and obstacles ( READ DO THE MATH THATS ALOT OF WEIGHT TO CARRY!!) and it gets STUPID-foolhardy to attemp, and DANGEROUS FOR ALL QUICK!!! In short use your squash and expend soem ATP, your just asking for trouble!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, and I am still wanting to know how Akroeze is carrying the patient, the stretcher, and all of his equipment at the same time without jeopardizing both his own and his patient's safety. If his employer is knowingly allowing that, I would be very disappointed.

Yep, and I am still wanting to know how Akroeze is carrying the patient, the stretcher, and all of his equipment at the same time without jeopardizing both his own and his patient's safety. If his employer is knowingly allowing that, I would be very disappointed.

Especially whwre they are so progressive inb Canada..surpising to see this from one of them to say the least.... :shock: :shock: :!: :!:

We're required to take the stretcher and all equipment in on every call. For the most part we do, but there are exceptions to the rule.

Ever asked for an explanation of this policy? If it were not policy, would you still do it?

Especially whwre they are so progressive inb Canada..surpising to see this from one of them to say the least.... :shock: :shock: :!: :!:

If the leaders of EMS wanted everything to go into the house, we'd have no cabinets, and 30 bags.

There is NO REASON to take a cot in on every call. Expediant care is not the five minutes it takes to drag a cot across the lawn. Period. Initiate care, then transport.

PS: Exceptions as stated; Highrises, Nursing homes, and other limited access calls where patient transport would be EXPONENTIALLY delayed by not taking the cot.

...and yes, I said cot. HA!

Ever asked for an explanation of this policy? If it were not policy, would you still do it?

Their explanation is that it makes no sense to enter a residence, public facility, etc. where there has been a request for EMS with no equipment. What good does it do for my partner and I to walk in with nothing else? If it turns out to be a diabetic pt., then everything I need is right there with me vs. my having to run back to the unit to fetch things. It's just easier, IMO. And at this point it's so second nature to me that even if it weren't policy, I'd still do it. :wink:

Their explanation is that it makes no sense to enter a residence, public facility, etc. where there has been a request for EMS with no equipment. What good does it do for my partner and I to walk in with nothing else? If it turns out to be a diabetic pt., then everything I need is right there with me vs. my having to run back to the unit to fetch things. It's just easier, IMO. And at this point it's so second nature to me that even if it weren't policy, I'd still do it. :wink:

The stretcher isn't always the best or most appropraite tool for extriaction or removal of the pt to 'tha bus' at every call..so hence the policy holds no water, or weight for that matter.... Sounds more they dont expect you to be able to perform the basic functions of your job, which is quite common nowadays...

out here,

ACe844

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.