Why did the police pull your ambulance over?

aussiemedic

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a little story to make you chuckle.

Was southbound out of Edmonton headed lights, no sirens it was low traffic @ 04:00 hrs. to pick up a sick kid in Red Deer, about 60 miles away and NOT sparing the horses I may add.

Got pulled over my the RCMP my partner said $#@^ HIM, but I stopped, the officer then opened up the back door of the Neonatal "buggie" to find the NICU Program Director "not very pleased I add" the MD was quite suggestive about some "rectal surgical procedure" the MD who was very astute legally and an ex FF stated that the officer could be charged and would be charged with "Obstruction of an Emergency Vehicle" if he did not place the driver under immediate arrest.... hey wait a second there doc that was ME!

The look on the young officers face was PRICELESS but then again so was mine, I didn't relish the thought of being a pawn it this situation.

The best part was when a (very hot in more ways than one RN) offered him a donut standard line (but we WERE packing them away like hungry wolves) the RN bent over sticking her a very well proportioned derriere in his face to reach for the box of goodies. lmfao. and just to answer any queries the RNs brought them from their Unit, Man she was hot did I say that already?

At that the time the door was closed "Stat" and the officers face matched the color of his beacons.

Well that was back in the day, I have not heard of a Police office pulling a rig over for quite some time in this area, no wonders here really if we are lit up, its not there bloody business what and where we are going, besides we have share the same contact number after all, give call my dispatcher a holler on 911.

cheers

Hey all

Just a quick one, but I think we would all get a laugh out of this one....

Why has the police pulled your ambulance over in the past and what did they speak to you about?

I will start this off...

I was returning from a job one night in a supervisors car (a Holden Commodore sedan) when the police pulled me for.... of all things.... impersonating a police officer.

Yes, my company wheres blue shirts.... but my badges are very different.... and my car was a black car with red lights (police have red and blue lights in Australia)

Any way, they pull me up and tell me that it is illegal for me to display red flashing lights on the vehicle (hang on a sec.... it was the police that gave me the authority to do so....) and to wear a blue uniform and that I had been spotted impersonating a police officer....

I asked him if any one had made a complaint, if they had seen me (as I know I had not used lights and sirens at all that day) and they said no. I asked what the prob was, and they said it because I had a blue uniform and lights and that I would be arrested and charged.

I then asked the constable if he was arresting officers of the NSW Ambulance Service (they have red lights), the fire service (they wear blue uniforms) or the local rescue service (who also wear blue). He said no. I then suggested that his partner arrest him for impersonating a police officer (as a joke of course - after all, he was in a police uniform....) and at that point he spotted something shiny on my collar... did I mention that I am a chaplain as well? He had spotted the crosses, and I have never seen anyone leave a scene as quick as this fellow.

The good outcome of this, I did speak to the local police commander, and the constable had just completed training and was not fully sure of the law, so it was an honest mistake.... apologies were passed and our two services get along nicely now...

Just to go on record.... yes I do follow the road rules and laws.

I also heard a story of a highway patrol officer that used to pull ambulances over under lights at 3am on an empty street in a built up residential area and issue a fine for not sounding the siren. So the ambos did this, and every body complained about sirens at 3am, so they stopped and the fines started again.... what a catch 22.

Any way, I look forward to your responses.....

Have a great night / day or sleep if it is your day off....

Tim

What company do you work for mate?

• 1 year later...

I wish I could find the link for it. Some years ago, I had a picture of 2 people in a private car, with a dash beacon, wearing volunteer fire uniforms, with the LEO walking up on them from his patrol car.

The caption read, "Wait until he asks us if we were on our way to a fire!"

On a serious note, something over 30 years ago, a Volunteer Ambulance Corps unit from somewhere in Queens County, NYC, , was working up a CPR call, and had left the Cadillac Ambulance in a bus stop while doing it. A local NYPD team appeared on the scene, and were told to "Move the truck" out of the bus stop (for the uninformed, presuming other local laws, in NYC, it is illegal to even stop, let alone park, in a bus stop.) The Crew Chief (EMT in charge on the unit) told the LEOs exactly what they were doing: "We're doing CPR here!" The LEOs just repeated to move the ambulance, and left.

When the crew returned to the vehicle, they found a parking ticket on it!

Let's see, a Caddy-lance, with a 4 bulb rotating main beacon, 4 revolving corner lights, a crew doing CPR, as witnessed by the NYPD, and a ticket?

You know that a picture of the VAC president holding the ticket while standing next to the ambulance appeared in the New York Daily News. With the bad publicity towards the LEOs, the ticket got tossed out.

Now, my VAC, in it's first year of operating (1974), had 3 ambulances, but usually only crews for one at a time. We had our "Ambulance Only" parking zone across the street from us, in front of a Pizzeria. The owner was always giving us grief for parking there, as it was possible to view it as not only in front of the store, but FOR the store.

We had taken to putting two of the 3 ambulances on the side street, joined by the third when we went off service.

For whatever the reason, with one on the side street, the second one actively on a call, the third one was left in front of the Pizzeria. The owner came across the street, and yelled at the dispatcher to move the ambulance right then and there. No, the dispatcher was not about to move the ambulance, for one thing, he was maintaining contact with the ambulance on the call, and second, he was not an authorized VAC driver. He did tell the store owner that the ambulance would be moved as soon as the crew returned.

Not good enough. The store owner called the precinct, and the Sargent responded, and gave the ticket to the ambulance for...wait for it...illegally parking an ambulance in a marked ambulance zone!

Moments later, the crew returned, as well as an off duty member, who was talking with his friend, a Daily News reporter/photographer!

We now had enough driver qualified people to drive all three ambulances, even though we only had a full team for the "on duty" unit. They proceeded, with the "newsie" aboard, down to the precinct house, where, per the dispatcher (still maintaining his post) reported the scanner telling the sargent to return FORTHWITH to the precinct house.

A very upset sargent, obviously under orders of his commanding captain, was forced to cancel the ticket, and apologize to the crews, in front of the "newsie", who was snapping away with his camera.

• 1 year later...

Ok so it wasnt my ambulance it was my personal car.

We were doing 24 hr shifts (oh btw i was on my EMT Practicum)

So we respond in our personal vehicles from our house.

It was Friday, at 3 AM (I geuss that would be saturday morning)

We get a Delta Call / Drug overdose, so i get in my vehicle, and theres a 4 way stop ahead, speed limit is 50 in town, i blow the stop sight at 90 KPH, and sure enough theres a cop car right there.

I think to my self "Crap"

I look in the rear view mirror and omg ive never seen a cop car spin around so fast, he floored it, the back tires spun, thick smoke filled the air, he threw on his lights and sirens, black tire tracks marking the ground as he did a 360, well i was only 5 blocks from the Ambulance base, and well i geuss i had to pull over.

Cop gets to my window and im sitting there in my EMS uniform and my radios going off with details of the call.

He looks at me....looks at my radio....looks at me again "You on a call?"

ANd i look at him, look at my radio, hold up my radio for him to hear "Uhhhh Yeah" is all i could sputter out.

He turns around without another word and off i go...

It's cool Bro, I didn't take it personally at all. If you want to see what happens if I take things personally look at the last thread "the-kid" made last nite, oh wait they deleted that thread. :lol:

Peace,

Marty

:thumbleft:

165191-she-hulk_400.jpg

WE do the same thing with our second out truck and fire co flicker the lights just for a second. Our township cops have nothing to do with themselves at 3am because there is too many of them. They are in the fire and ems business anytime of day because there is way too many cops in our town talking on their phones and using their computers all at the same time mind you while they pull you over for talking one your phone. Anyway will where coming home from a call at 3am and doing nothing wrong, doing the speed limit no flashing lights to other squad nothing one one such night and a Lt pulled us over and when we asked him why his answer to us was BECAUSE HE COULD! It's cops like him that give all cops a bad name. I have grown to truly strongly dislike cops. That is coming from a long family of cops. My great-granddad was the chief in philadelphia and my granddad was captain of the motorcycle cops. My one older brother is Lt ready to be assist chief then chief of police in the town we live in in the next two years. My brother that is only two years above me is 2nd grade sarg in the maryland state police, he was a winslow policemen but there was no room for him too move us and he did like the political games there so he make the decision to go to the state boot camp and start all over again, him i'm proud, but he still plays the cop game. I can do it but you can't. He road a m/c for years without a license because he would pull out that badge would you or I be able to get away with that? Would you or I be able to talk on the phone and say it's business? No? Now I can truly say that my brother that is on line to be chief here doesn't do that. He plays by our rules. But he has to be the only cop that does that I know of. When we did flash our second truck we both got followed to the building they called our chief at 3 am and told him we were playing with the lights and sirens at 3am, he was going to give us a ticket but give us a break this time and let him to suspend us this time but there won't be a next time. We weren't suspend because the chief is cool he talked to all of us and we all had the same story and he wrote up the cop to his sarg. That made me feel good that he stood up for all of us against the cop even though the chief is a cop at his job. Some bad cops have given me a really bad taste for cops!!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.