Would you take a blood sugar here?

Acosell

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aco....this sounds an awful lot like what Spamilton BH used to be like...hammer, you can correct me if it's no longer like that....hey things change. We have the freedom...if you can justify it, you can do it...that goes for just about anything.

As for your question: #1, probably not. #2, yes for sure. And for your dilemma: do it, document it, take the 'minor error' slap on the wrist and rest easy at night knowing that you did your job well and completely in spite of your BH best efforts!

Brat :wink:

LMAO....Brat, you will be pleased to know that just this year we have been granted the privilege of performing blood glucometry " on any pt with signs or symptoms that may be related to a glucose problem (hypo- or hyper-glycemia)". But don't worry......things haven't changed that much....the provincial protocols have changed so Spamilton didn't have to take any initiative of its own. :wink:

LMAO....Brat, you will be pleased to know that just this year we have been granted the privilege of performing blood glucometry " on any pt with signs or symptoms that may be related to a glucose problem (hypo- or hyper-glycemia)". But don't worry......things haven't changed that much....the provincial protocols have changed so Spamilton didn't have to take any initiative of its own. :wink:

[said tongue in cheek]

WOW, Canada is now one step above NYC :wink: :roll: :shock: :lol: :shock: :D 8) You cane even do BG's now..wow!! LOL :arrow: :!: :!: :lol: 8)

• 3 weeks later...
Situation 1:

Pt. complaining of sharp 4/10 chest pain worsening on inspiration which completely resolves with oxygen admin. He then complains of dizzyness and general weakness in his arms. Would you take a sugar?

Situation 2:

Pt. was at work and began to feel very light headed. Pt. sat down and rested immediately, but still feels a little bit dizzy. Would you take a sugar?

Neither patient has a Hx of diabetes, either personal or family.

In a nut shell to both cases

YES

stay safe

Posted by Dustdevil

"In the first situation you gave, while the symptoms point to some specific diagnostic possibilities, it does not clearly and positively point to any one specific condition. "

Brilliant. This is the simple logic, but still genius. If you settle for a hunch instead of a probability, you will miss something.

As for the cost of the extra procedure........Don't call my ambulance(if I had one yet) if you want ala carte medicine. I'm not going to stop doing procedures I think can tell me something until I hand you over to the nurse.

No orifice is safe from my desire to either see the disease process or your signature.

In a nut shell to both cases

YES

stay safe

Hi All,

We've yet to have anyone mention that they may consider the possibility of a neuro cause or other differnetials in either case yet we're still debating about BGL's.... :roll: :!: :!: Talk about TUNNEL VISION!!!! :x :shock: :evil: :twisted: :!: :!:

out here,

ACE844

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.