traffic light controls in ur cities

We don't have control over the lights here and I'm pretty sure fire doesn't either (near positive). I don't think any service in Ontario has them, though I could be wrong.

Overall, in my opinion I think they would be dangerous and offer a false sense of security. They wouldn't save you more than a minute (as opposed to slowing/stopping at a red light and then proceeding when safe) and would increase the thought process that people could simply sail through an intersection because they have/know they'll have a green.

I couldn't think of a real reason to have them, urban or rural. Money better spent else where

"VS,"

IIRC, the major reason which started the 'development' and use of this system was to limit the public saftey agencies litigous liability due to MVC's involving apparatus with other vehicles in an intersection. In the US this has been a major problem for along time. How our traffic laws are written don't help matters much as well. An intersection in the US is 'generally' referred to have contained in it a 'Million dollar circle.' Meaning that on average any collision involving a L&S response which results in a MVC at an intersection, will result in a Million dollar payout to involved parties... Due to the nature of the system and most of the traffic laws here it places the 'Fault', on the other parties, and thus limits the depts. litigous liability. This system when coupled with a 'Intersection traffic camera' virtually eliminates the risk and this issue. For future refrence here's a little more info. on the system.

Hope this helps,

ACE844

[web:0d676f5f87]http://www.tcmfd.com/stuff/opticom.html[/web:0d676f5f87]

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have Opticoms on most of our ambulances now.

Most of the townships and boroughs we serve have Opticoms installed on most of the lights. We have some traffic lights that need maintenance, and are hit or miss. When they work, they kick ass. It is great when you get 3-4 lights all flashing "clear" in a row. But you must be careful. Some police cars and most fire apparatus have them, and when you come to an intersection, you have to make sure it is green for you. The firemen won't stop.

Our city didn't implement them, and has no plans to do so. $$$$

I was ordering wire guided missiles, but the grant didn't come through. +

One of our medics works for the Department of Health. I keep after him to allow us to use tazers. Baby steps, I guess.

Some Ontario Fire services have them...Niag Falls??

....here's a thought instead of going L/S and elevating the potential liability.....why not re assess what we run hot to through statistics

Alarms - large percent false

unknowns - large percent false

I think the blanket policy of must use L/S for every call causes safety problems...

MHO

While Opticom can be very helpful -- when it works properly, and always in conjunction with caution and regard for safety -- I agree that we should be running L/S much less often than we currently do. The worst: having medics run hot to a call where we have to stage for PD, who are going code 2 (no L/S), is absurd.

I think the blanket policy of must use L/S for every call causes safety problems...

Are there places in the province where EMS goes Code 4 to every call?

Sorry I shall clarify....

my exp. has been typically with some local fire depts that go L/S (e.g. leaves burning on the curb)....some common sense for public safety should kick in there....

all the ambulance services that I have worked for have always had a priority system...we have recently encountered a policy that stated all calls originated by police or fire ONS or in a public place will receive a L/S response ....

The department that I Work for has an Opticom system on the medic unit its a simple strobe that has been placed after market on the unit. This is sad because we only have one light in our town. even if we have to transport to Olympia there are only 3 other lights and only one responds to the opticon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.