Learning Styles and Questions from a Newbie...

just me

Thanks for all the tips/advice, I'm definately taking note and see if I can put them to use.

I don't know why we don't do more scenarios other than time being a problem. There doesn't seem to be enough at all. We don't have a study group either, which is something I'd love to do. Especially for practicing assesments.

Also, it might help to make notecards in very tiny writing with several definitions on one index card. I found that during tests I can more easily recall a small card (because it's a small field of vision...more like a picture) and can even recall where on the card I took those notes, and then scan for it.

Oh, I like that idea. I really like flashcards for some odd reason.

YES WHEN YOU REACH THE MIDDLE OF CLASS IS WHEN MOST STUDENTS BECOME CONFUSED AND LOST. BUT JUST REMEMBER IT IS LIKE BUILDING A HOUSE ( NOW YOUR PROBALY THINKING THIS GUY IS NUTS ) BUT IT IS ONE BRICK AT A TIME ONCE YOU HAVE LAYED THE FOUNDATION THE REST WILL JUST FALL INTO PLACE. IF YOU ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF CLASS

AFTER THE LECTURE THAT NIGHT . ALL YOU SHOULD BE DOING IS SERINOS. THAT IS WHAT I HAVE MY STUDENTS DO.

Glad it's normal to have a feeling of being lost. More like thrown in the lake without a lifevest, but oh well. I guess this is sink or swim time.

If you're not doing enough scenarios in class then get a group together and start practicing. In my PCP program right now we only do 4 hours a week of lab time with the instructors but spend at least 15 hours a week practicing on our own. The academic work is important, but when it comes down to it, this is a hands on job.

Just Me, the study groups are great, but I have found that it is certainly not a passive endeavor. If you want to form a study group, YOU need to do it. Asking "does anyone want to get together and study?" won't get it done.

Set a time and a place and be there. In my Basic class I picked a place at least 3 times a week between the different towns so everyone had a better chance of making it. Sometimes some people came, sometimes they didn't. But I always had an objective, and was prepared to reach it.

Some people want to come and yak...make sure you stay away from them....unless yakking is your goal....

But in the end, it's not about them. It's about you. You can't make other people study. Get them together, be focused, get it done.....

Dwayne

Well said Dwayne!

If you really want to be a part of a study group, form one... don't wait around for one to form around you, because it will likely never happen. As an instructor, let me give you a couple of other tips....

1. Let your instructor know your Study Group schedule. If they're like me, they'll want to try to be available by phone for any "clarification" questions that you might have. Consider this availability as a courtesy, and don't deluge them with questions that you can research and find an answer for.

2. If your Instructor doesn't care about your study group times, etc... make sure that you make a list of those questions that you're still not 100% sure of. Thinking that you'll remember when you get to class NEVER works.

3. Invite the entire class to your study groups... not just those that are in your "click"... you never know who may show up and actually need the assistance. I agree with Dwayne though.. set a standard of studying vs. Goofing off early into the groups meetings.

If you have access to the internet at your study site, that could be good too, as you can always jump online to do a quick search / research .. or even log into the chat here, and pose the question.... Take assistance wherever you can find it! (When you get answers from outside sources, always clarify their validity with your instructor... it makes me CRAZY when my students come in and tell me something that they learned from an outside source that isn't test / DOT / NHTSA standards)....

Another way you can get some pretty good experience is to volunteer for testings as a patient. Our instructors asked us if we are interested in doing it and a few of us jumped right up. We did an EMT-B refresher at the Fire Academy two weeks ago and just today an NREMT-I. I learned a lot from both but being a Basic student the refresher was exactly what I needed. I had a chance to do both medical and trauma scenarios and learned a lot about patient assessment. Today's NREMT-I was a little confusing for me when they started talking about IV's and things like that but I still picked up a lot of things that will help me through my basic course. And all you have to do is just sit there and act as if you were hurting. Or not even that if you are the unconscious patient. Well, it's just an idea :)