Spinal Immobilization using Speed Straps

think i know wat you are talking about but i am not sure, when i trained we used the speed straps which was an adjustable strap with a loop on the end coming with a male female buckle, we used 5 of these, the top one at coller height, male one side female the other, the second at mid ax the same on opposite sides, belts across the chest engaging the buckles with the hands under if u want to immoilise but easy to free for BP or IV.

third at hips fourth at knees and last at ankles, iits just a case of strap throuh carryhole in board and buckle through loop, very fast and very little movement if upper straps are done properly and kjeep the torso immobile.

is this what you are talking about ??? resq55, this is the way we were taught,

keep safe.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jmac and Xselerate for posting.

I think the picture may be fooling you. "all those straps" are really only 2 14' long straps that criss-cross.

Jmac, I do know what you are talking about, lots of folks use those out here. We have shy'd away because I don't think they are the most secure thing on the market. But they do work and are very very fast.

This style im talking about was actually devoloped by the military (as were most of our great paramagic tools). You get the pt. on the board, layout your two straps, thread them through various holes in the board, and then tighten the whole package together.

Non-the-less, its good to hear what other people are doing out there.

thanks again!

Bryan

ah, you are talking about roman straps..thus called because they tie through the handholes across the PT like roman sandle tie's,

sorry i did not pick up on that, i found them a bit of trouble if you have someone going down and you need access to them,

be safe.

Roman straps. . . right on. thats a new one. Ya, thats been a repeat question throughout. But, as I have done many a time on the ski hill. . . a good 'ol cravat or a hand tie to the top of the straps may solve that problem. guess we'll have to see how that goes when we get there.

Thanks for the help.

This is at least the third time this "long strap" technique has been brought up here. Each time, somebody has asked for an explanation of exactly how the process works. And each time, nobody has answered.

Seems to me that if nobody can describe how it works, it's not that great a deal.

xselerate, as for your contention that simple buckle straps by themselves are "secure," that's so absurd that I won't even waste time arguing it.

Woo Hoo... A challenge!

I can describe how we use long straps here... but I agree with bandaidpatrol...as long as the patient is secure, and you "restrict" the head last, any method works... as a state evaluator, I have seen it ALL.

We use 3 9' straps.... I need to get hold of some of those 14' straps, would make my life easier.

Top strap.... we use the cross your heart technique. Personally I start at the pt.s Right side, place the end of the "connection" strap over the R shoulder, use the handhold hole just above the shoulder as my anchor and then run the strap down to the handhold just above the hip, up through the bottom, across to the L Shoulder, through the corresponding hole there, and down to the handhold above the hip on the L side, back up to meet the securing connection. I don't "tighten" the strap here until I'm getting ready to secure the head.

Strap 2.... I call the Belt Buckle Strap... I lay the connection end over the hips at the location that you would typically find a belt buckle. Through the corresponding handhold, down to the area just above the knees, across to the other side (just above the knee) and back up to the hip.. This strap does not cross but forms two straight areas... I tighten this down at the time if I don't suspect pelvic fracture... (If I suspect Pelvic fracture I do a TON of padding and then tighten right before I tighten the chest).

Strap 3... Starts just below the knee.... connection laying across the knees... down to the handhold just above the ankles.... straight across, to the handhold on the L just above the ankles, and then back up to the area just below the knees. Pad and secure.

Go back and tighten the Chest strap (after having the patient inhale deeply if able), and secure the head.

Hope that was somewhat clear, and what you were looking for.

Hope that was somewhat clear, and what you were looking for.

Sounds very time consuming and awkward in execution. How are the strap ends secured? Knots?

actually, that was quite clear. Thanks for actually replying to my post!!!!

I belive, when I went through medic school, we did this method. However, with slight variencies. Now that you descibed how you did it, it jogged my memory of how we did it back then.

Would would start at the right shoulder, go over it, and down to the navel, back over the left shoulder and across. The hip section would actually feed through the loop of the chest section, so when you tighten everything, they pull in opposition, further securing the patient to the board. The foot section would also feed through the hip section, so when tightened, it would pull everything down. The foot section would also go around the feet, so keeping the body in a compact position. Obviously, not pulling hard enough to compress the spine.

In re: to Dustdevil, this method (once you figure it out) so WAY faster than spider straps. No contention. Now faster than sloppy seat belt straps??? Probably not. But that style, in my opionon, isn't secure at all. You should give it a try. all you need is a few cam style straps. :| im regards to how they secure. . . it just depends on the style that you use. You can use the metal buckles that have the teeth and grind into the webbing. or the type that I have, which is a cam style. You feed though the buckle and back through onto itself and pull tight. Which ever way they don't slip.

Cheers!

I have only used spider straps in training one day a couple of months ago. Never in the field. So, while I believe they definitely provide a secure system for the average patient in ideal conditions, I would not say I am completely sold on them.

And, having used the basic straight seatbelt style straps for most of my career, I can assure you that I am not particularly sold on them as a secure system either. In fact, I have always said they suck.

Obviously, the best system would involve lateral support, not downward pressure from straps. None of these strapping methods provide adequate protection from lateral movement, which is our prime goal. They all induce pressure on the victim which is bad on so many levels. Such pressure negatively affects spinal alignment. It increases decubital pressure. It restricts ventilatory expansion. And it just plain stresses the patient out. Meanwhile, the patient is still sliding right to left on the board as the ambo bounces down the road.

The only real benefits to any strapping system I have seen is that it keeps the patient from falling off the board. Heck, just plain buckle straps do that. But none of these methods does nothing to immobilize the spine. And if I am going to spend five minutes knitting a web around my patient, it had better at least give me something that the ten-second buckle straps don't give me.

Just remember that the terminology "Spinal Motion Restriction" is more true than the term "immobilization". I used to have FITS about "immobilizing"..because I've NEVER seen a patient 100% (or even 75%) immbilized, however, when we utilize strapping techniques we do "Restrict" them... I say Potato, you say Green Bean....

And yes, the straps that we use are Cam Buckles... we do use them as 3 separate straps though and not one continuous strap.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.