Spinal Immobilization using Speed Straps

A long time ago, I learned a great technique which utilized 2 14' long straps for spinal immobilization. I am looking at getting away from the ever so popular Spider Straps, and going to this method. The way the companies are teaching how to use their straps though, is different from what I learned.

So I am wondering if people out there can specifically share how they use this system and the different attachment points and how they cross over the body.

Any info greatly appreciated!!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A long time ago, I learned a great technique which utilized 2 14' long straps for spinal immobilization. I am looking at getting away from the ever so popular Spider Straps, and going to this method. The way the companies are teaching how to use their straps though, is different from what I learned.

So I am wondering if people out there can specifically share how they use this system and the different attachment points and how they cross over the body.

Any info greatly appreciated!!!

I don't believe that method is recgonized. We use spider straps and webbing, with webbing being used on anything that is remotley major and spider straps being used for the "c-spine percaution" type calls. Both are accepted, and you can't get much quicker then spider straps and still have a patient truly immoblized IMHO. Why is that so many people are to lazy to web these days?

What you're talking about sounds like how they taught us to use webbing, except we were taught with a single very long strap.

fake edit: Is this what you're talking about? http://www.rescuedirect.com/Merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=WEB

I'm a newbie at all this so forgive me if I'm completely off the mark :D

Don't know about where you are at, but here in Cali, it is recognized. Id say more than not, most depts. here are using this method, and it is a hell of a lot more secure that spider straps.

Maybe I should clarify where Ill be using these.

I am the assistant ski patrol director at one of the resorts here in Lake Tahoe. We have been using spider straps since I have been there (8 years now). Spider straps are great and fast. however. when the velcro gets wet and or cold, they are pretty much worthless to us. So going this style will end that problem. also, when using these in medic school years ago, we could very easily perform a full c-spine in around 1 min. with 3 people. very quick. and the response from people, and personal critique, was that the pt. was very much more secure with these system, than with spider straps.

Don't know about where you are at, but here in Cali, it is recognized. Id say more than not, most depts. here are using this method, and it is a hell of a lot more secure that spider straps.

Maybe I should clarify where Ill be using these.

I am the assistant ski patrol director at one of the resorts here in Lake Tahoe. We have been using spider straps since I have been there (8 years now). Spider straps are great and fast. however. when the velcro gets wet and or cold, they are pretty much worthless to us. So going this style will end that problem. also, when using these in medic school years ago, we could very easily perform a full c-spine in around 1 min. with 3 people. very quick. and the response from people, and personal critique, was that the pt. was very much more secure with these system, than with spider straps.

:roll: Read the post again.

thanks for all the quick replys.

No. . . not just plane webbing. look at this link. this is actually what I am demoing right now.

http://www.wildmed.com/Merchant2/merchant....ategory_Code=RG

All those straps seem kinda excessive. Here we keep two peice straps on our boards and just buckle people on; chest, hips and legs. It's secure and easy so why fix what's not broke?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.