Spinal Immobilization using Speed Straps

As far as the buckle straps on the long board, ETMC uses them. :shock:

What ever happened to gold webbing, people look at me funny when I tell no we are going to web. I prefer webbing, if you've ever had to deal with any kind of rope rescue; webbing is the only way to go. Webbing can be done by two people in under a minute, it just takes practice. At both of the services I work for we carry spider straps and webbing. The spider straps are good for the "Grandma was found in the middle of the floor and has no pain anywhere calls," but webbing is what I prefer.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds very time consuming and awkward in execution. How are the strap ends secured? Knots?

I've a feeling that this technique is the same that we use. The problem with webbing is that when it gets wet, most knots will jam requiring the webbing to be cut. My solution to prevent this, and to ensure a method to keep the system snug is to use either a Rescue 8 or a carabiner, and tying off with the quick release Mariner knot, or a Garda knot.....

We use the three strap system. It is called "Parachute strapping" here. It is a little different from what was described. It takes two people less then 45 seconds to strap a pt to the board. But, when done, it is the best strapping there is. You can stand the board up, flip it over, turn it on it's side and the pt does not move. I work PRN for two other systems. One uses spider straps(which I think suck) and the other uses buckle straps, that clip to the pins on the board. This one really sucks! Both of these styles allow the pt to shift on the board. I hate to see someone turn a board on it's side(when a pt is vomiting) and see a Pt's body slide to the edge. While the head stays in place! From what I have seen, The 3 strap system is the only way to fully "Immobilize" a pt.

Just my .02!

I remain sceptical about the magical powers of this webbing to hold a patient immobile. I suppose if your patient is a wide load whose body spans the width of the board, then yes, if you turn the board on its side she probably won't shift too much. But to "immobilize" a smaller patient to that board so securely to the board that she would not slide laterally would require binding her entirely too tight for my professional comfort.

I repeat my concern that binding people this tightly is contraindicated by the simple laws of physics. Simply laying them on a board at all has come under serious medical question of late. That's why the Nexus, Maine, and Canadian spinal protocols are quickly becoming a standard of practise. So I fail to see how binding our patients even tighter to the board improves their condition.

All this webbing is great for temporary use during a vertical rescue or similar situation. But to routinely use this in a misguided attempt to "immobilize" the patient during transport seems short-sighted and very poorly thought out.

For me, using the Maine spinal protocols is a must. In the backcountry of Maine's north woods, extraction of an injured crew member can take up to 12 or more hours just to get to a suitable take out for a traditional transport to an ER. The amount of discomfort would just be too great, as well as the risks associated with putting a strapped in patient in a canoe on a big lake with rolling swells, or a river with white water. Strapping a patient to a board here requires careful consideration of many subjective, and objective risk factors, some of which, there are no control over.....

Buckle straps here, 2 crossed over the chest, 2 crossed over the abdomen, two crossed over the legs and a triangular to tie the feet together. Pad any voids, tape the head by 3 strips of tape across the forehead with blanket roll in place and you are done.

The only time I use spiders is when I have to carry a Pt out of a deep ditch or long treks in a back country incident. Oh ya and I'll second the motion that A) if someone doesn't roll 'em up properly or B) it is cold and snowy, the spiders are a royal pain in the A$$!

Dust,

I should have added that we do pad smaller pt on the sides. You want all voids filled. They are not strapped so tight, that it would cause harm. It is hard to explain on a computer screen. If I could show you, you would see the benefits of this procedure.

Ah, thanks! Now we're talking! What do you pad with? Where does the padding go? Under the webbing?

The only place I have found void padding to be of significant value is inside the ambulance. If they aren't being driven around, then lateral movement isn't usually a significant problem. Therefore, simply padding between the hips and the cot siderails has proven sufficient to maintain spinal alignment. Once we're at the ER, it's no longer a big issue.

We pad with rolled up towels or blankets, depending on the size of the pt. Yes, the padding goes between the pt and straps. Parachute strapping does not look like the pic of the 14' strapping, not as much clutter of straps covering pt.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.