Clinicals

Hey, I'm a new EMT-B student. The county in which I'm taking this course doesn't require clinical time for EMT-B's. They say it's b/c of too many EMT students. I would like to do clinical time, though. I think it would be helpful. And I wonder if not doing clinical time could hurt me in the future. Is there anyone else out there who was not required to do clinical time?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I find it hard to beleive you don't have any clinical time. I'm not sure where you are, but without exposure to a ED or a Ambo, how are you to know how to apply what you've learned? Without real pt contact's you are being cheated. I beleive cities like NY and LA have clinical time, I'm sure your class deserves theirs as well.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I'd demand clinical time if I was you, or else your just reading from a book.

I believe that DOT curriculum standards REQUIRE Clinical Rotations and a "minimum" of patient contacts. I'd have to look at the standards.. or you can do so... Google "DOT EMT-B Curriculum Guidelines", and search the table of contents for "Clinical Hours".....

Yes, I too believe NHTSA requires a minimum clinical hours. I would contact your state EMS and double check, you school maybe trying to something not authorized. You paid good money, you deserve to get a good education.

Good luck,

R/R 911

Last time I checked there wasn't a county in this country that had the power to control clinical times for an EMT class. That would be regulated by the state health department, are you sure your not talking about a first responder course (which is known throughout the country to not require clinical time). Not having the requiirement for clinicals about a good idea as teaching someone how to build a car without ever touching one.

No clinical time - bah that's bunk. your county is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. You need to contact your ems state agency and lodge a complaint. I think they might be breaking the law.

Hey, I'm a new EMT-B student. The county in which I'm taking this course doesn't require clinical time for EMT-B's. They say it's b/c of too many EMT students. I would like to do clinical time, though. I think it would be helpful. And I wonder if not doing clinical time could hurt me in the future. Is there anyone else out there who was not required to do clinical time?

I'm finding that hard to believe myself. Are you sure it's your county and not just the program you're in? We had to do a min. of 10 hours with a min of 10 patient contacts in my course and that didn't count ride-alongs with the FD we were affiliated with.

How can you possibly know if this is what you want to do, and what you can do, without actually trying to do it? Sounds totally screwy to me.