Clinicals

I agree Dust, but don't you think propective EMT's should at least see the inside of an ambulance? :wink:

Absolutely! They should have about ten times as much time on an ambulance as they currently get in lecture, for that matter! I'm just saying that to say there is a big difference between a school that sends their kids on a handful of rideouts and one that doesn't is silly.

Go big or go home, is what I'm saying. :D

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I'm a new EMT-B student. The county in which I'm taking this course doesn't require clinical time for EMT-B's. They say it's b/c of too many EMT students. I would like to do clinical time, though. I think it would be helpful. And I wonder if not doing clinical time could hurt me in the future. Is there anyone else out there who was not required to do clinical time?

I just had my first ER Clinical last week. We are required to do 24 in the ER and 24 on the Ambulance. I've asked several times if they'll let me do more time. My reasoning was to get to visit as many departments as possible, and get a feel for what it's like at each one. I don't know if that's wise or not...but, it couldn't hurt, could it?

Anyway, they let me take vitals on pt's the moement I stepped in the door. It was good practice, and most of the folks were forgiving if I had to take their BP more than once in order to get the reading (haha, thank goodness!).

My only complaint is myself. I didn't take the opportunitity to questions the EMTS/Paramedics that came in with PT's. It wasn't until after they left that I thought of some good q's that I really had. In fact I'm beating myself up over it. Grr. [okay, so part of it was my nerves...]

My only complaint is myself. I didn't take the opportunitity to questions the EMTS/Paramedics that came in with PT's. It wasn't until after they left that I thought of some good q's that I really had. In fact I'm beating myself up over it. Grr. [okay, so part of it was my nerves...]

Great first post! I like you already!

Not only is that a great idea to talk to incoming medics after they deliver their patient (I've never seen a student really do that in a serious, educational manner!), but it is also impressive that you are openly critical of yourself, as well as willing to share that criticism with us here.

May you go far! :thumbright:

When I started clinicals for my Basic, I had never set foot in an Ambulance before. Been on my back a few times, but that's a different story. When I first arrived at the station, I asked my Preceptor to show me around the Ambulance. I wanted to know where everything was in case they needed it on a call. I was asked to take vital signs, assist with hanging IV.s, loading the stretcher etc. All and all, it is up to you as too you as to what your clinical experience is like. If you sound interested chances are your preceptors will let you do more things. When we had some down time, I asked them about how certain equipment worked. Take your text book with you, something to do on your down time.

Enjoy your clinical time but remember, it is a learning environment. Take this opportunity to learn as much as you can.

I expect one major thing first and foremost from my students...and that is to do what you're sent there to do...LEARN. Don't be lazy, sloppy, or sleeping in the recliner. (And I'm not saying you are any of this...so don't take this personal...I'm just giving my perspective :wink: )... There is nothing worse than a student that comes in looking unprofessional as hell, shirt untucked, hair a mess, boots unlaced...trudging in...says hey...flops in the recliner. In fact..after giving them a few minutes, and the benefit of the doubt...if it appears this is what is flying for the next 8-10 hours, I will send them home with the message of..."Lesson #1....and believe me I'm about to do you a huge favor...Go home...start over...and come back when you look like you are here to work, learn, and can present yourself as a professional to the public and to the department. Think about what you think I mean by that...analyze what just happened this morning and when you have it figured out...come back. If you need me to enlighten you....I'll be happy to explain". Please know...I'm not mean...I just want serious students only. It's my way of letting them know...this is a serious job and it's time to grow up. You want to be a professional, start by looking and acting like one.

If you make it to the truck...of course I will let you do stuff...you will take vitals, put monitors on, do sugars, compressions or bagging if you can handle it, God forbid we have to; and just assist with stuff in general...and by all means ask questions. You are not bugging me or inconveniencing me. In fact, I'm offended if you don't ask questions. A lot of it depends on who you ride with and how they work, the type of people they are. But, anyone worth a damn is going to welcome your questions and answer them. Ummm....know when to step back. If it's a bad call, ask what you can do, but observe mostly. Too many hands is not always good thing.

For extra points..offer your help around the station. We love when students have enough initiative to jump in and help out...even if it's not about being an EMT. Be a part of the crew that day. Get a feel for what it's really like, even if it's helping with dinner. You will be a lot more liked and respected. Most of all...learn and have fun...and take the experience with you. Hopefully you can come home with something to reflect back on. Let me know how it goes! And...BEST of luck to you!!! :wink:

xoxo

I absolutely agree !...........

Sorry, unless you have been on clinicals ove a period of time you are a guest. Please, do not make your self at home and recline back and sleep. Present yourself like you want to get a job. How do you think most employers get their new porspects ?...

Yes, ask questions, but please try to ask intillegent ones... and if we ask you ones, don't be offended or dodge us..we expect you not to know. It is get to see some that do know....

I had a student with me yesterday .. it was great! He actually wanted to learn something... how odd ?...

R/R 911

I absolutely agree !...........

I had a student with me yesterday .. it was great! He actually wanted to learn something... how odd ?...

R/R 911

Refreshing, isn't it Rid...someone who actually wants to learn.....go figure. lol...

And...I'm glad you agreed with me. I was excited to see that my approach has your stamp of approval. It means a lot. After all...I certainly do respect your opinions, Rid sir. :salute: :wink:

xoxo

Absolutely...I've said it. I know it probably embarrassed them, but the thing you have to remember is...some of these kids are just that...kids. The come to class looking like slobs. If they aren't told in the beginning...that's not doing them a favor. My job is to teach and mentor. I take that seriously. I look at it simply like...would they show up for any other job looking like that? I hope not. :shock: And if they would...then it's time to put that thought to rest and learn that that is NOT acceptable. That's just how I see it....

Hopefully, at some point down the road...that same student will end up successful, or who knows, maybe a polished Captain and say...wow...I remember when that girl taught me how to present myself professionally. If even ONE thinks this...I'm happy.

xoxo

Luv, 8